VAR (PL introduction 2019)

Took too long to review the penalty for me tonight. 2 minutes is about 1 minute 30 too long and it broke up the rhythm of Chelsea’s play. Nevertheless, I’m sure it can be sped up, and it’s still a huge improvement of the previous system of corrupt and biased refereeing ruining the game.

After the delay in reviewing the Chelsea penalty appeal, I'm trying to imagine the following scenario; last game of the season, the home side needs a win to avoid relegation whereas the away side needs a point to do the same. The away side has a penalty claim in the last minute, but the game continues until a break in play. Subsequently, the home side go down the other end and score. The ref then reviews the penalty claim and decides it is a penalty. He therefore rules out the "goal", awards the penalty for the away side, they score and go on to win, sending the home side down. There'd be a riot in the stadium.

lol
Fair enough if people want to see it in this country. Personally I think the vast majority of fans in this country won't like it and going by twitter thats certainly the case tonight.

Certainly wont stop the controversy though. Guarantee there will be an agenda thread on this forum in five years with people moaning about how united have had five times more decisions awarded through VAR than us or something like that.

Social media is the biggest negative to modern football nowadays, the abuse levelled at owners, managers, players and officials is just non stop. VAR is about helping the ref, that is all. Moaning fans who cry corruption all the time are the ones who hold progress back in the game we all love.

If this is to be intriduced, will it be for all Prem games? If so, on a Saturday with 7/8 fixtures, how are they going to find enough 'top quality' refs to sit in the VAR truck and review? The pilot is being selective with a lot of resources thrown at it. The reality will be very different.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.