Vauxhall car plant, Ellesmere Port

It's bit late for me to research but the Talbot plant in Coventry very quickly closed once it was taken over by Peugeot.

Ryton was the most efficient and best quality producer of cars when compared against other Peugeot plants across Europe. It was closed because the labour laws in France and Germany require the employer to spend a whole lot more time and money when closing factories and laying workers off, such as investing in finding them new jobs, paying them considerably more in redundancy, and requiring much longer periods leading up to lay-off. With labour laws being pitiful in this country, it was cheaper for them to close Ryton.

Ryton was the most efficient and best quality producer of cars when compared against other Peugeot plants across Europe. It was closed because the labour laws in France and Germany require the employer to spend a whole lot more time and money when closing factories and laying workers off, such as investing in finding them new jobs, paying them considerably more in redundancy, and requiring much longer periods leading up to lay-off. With labour laws being pitiful in this country, it was cheaper for them to close Ryton.

I drove past that plant a short time ago - just an empty space now, if I clocked the right factory.

Check out Germany's trade surplus.
The Germans have a huge trade surplus because they have a strong economy coupled with a relatively weak currency. Their huge surplus and Greece's huge problems are two sides of the same coin which is why the Euro is such a stupid idea. Slightly off topic but I like to get a good rant on every so often about the Euro.

The Germans have a huge trade surplus because they have a strong economy coupled with a relatively weak currency. Their huge surplus and Greece's huge problems are two sides of the same coin which is why the Euro is such a stupid idea. Slightly off topic but I like to get a good rant on every so often about the Euro.

It's more that the EU states that no member should have a trade surplus higher than 6% of GDP. That's really quite high as it's exceeded by only 13 countries across the globe. Germany's is more like 9%. That said, it isn't the only EU country to break the rule - Slovenia, Sweden, Denmark and the Netherlands too (although all with much smaller economies).

This. Whilst we are expected to adhere to every little rule and bend other at all times, the French and Germans who make those rules will of course choose which ones they can ignore.

Thank fuck for brexit!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.