'VE Day 8th May

Not sure the 90,000 french troops we left on the beaches of Dunkirk would agree .
Also have you ever read about the large village where the French inhabitants where killed and it is still left empty as it was to this day .
I am 100 % , 100 % Brexit but you have no idea .

Not sure the 90,000 french troops we left on the beaches of Dunkirk would agree .

I'm guessing his sarcasm has been lost in translation...

I would probably suggest that the French Government let the country down. Thousands of French men and women fought against the Axis powers. Mind you, quite a few fought for them as well which is probably why there is still a semi hatred for them.

Still...bygones and all that.

What is important is that a world war never happens again. Otherwise they would have died in vain.

I'm guessing his sarcasm has been lost in translation...

I would probably suggest that the French Government let the country down. Thousands of French men and women fought against the Axis powers. Mind you, quite a few fought for them as well which is probably why there is still a semi hatred for them.

Still...bygones and all that.

What is important is that a world war never happens again. Otherwise they would have died in vain.
100% sure of my facts Mr Knob .

It was a great day in the old Shambles square back in 1995 to celebrate the 50th anniversary the boozers were packed everywhere. Maybe it will be a lot more high profile in 2020 to mark 75yrs.

Been hijacked by Macron. When those Eurocrat bastards come to the negotiating table re UK leaving, they ought to preface it with a visit to a dozen military cemeteries to see just what we have sacrificed for 'Europe'! Nothing inflames me more than listening to these European political apparatchiks slagging us off. But for us and the Yanquis they wouldn't be able to sit in well-appointed offices, stuffing outrageous salaries and expenses into their pockets and trying to screw another penny out of Les Rosbifs?
There were a few. I've been to the French National Cemetery at Notre Dame de Lorette. It is a very sad place, but I do wonder, hypothetically, if our two countries had occupied each other's geographical spot during the 20th Century would the French have jumped to our defence as readily as we did theirs?

There were a few. I've been to the French National Cemetery at Notre Dame de Lorette. It is a very sad place, but I do wonder, hypothetically, if our two countries had occupied each other's geographical spot during the 20th Century would the French have jumped to our defence as readily as we did theirs?
The French jump to the defence of the French and nobody else
The Vichy French were also about to turn their fleet over to the Germans at Mers-El-Kebir which would have tipped the balance over the Royal Navy until Churchill sent the battleships in and sunk or damaged the French fleet on 3rd July 1940

Oh Mr Knob ,
The French village is called ,
Oradour-sur-Glane .
It is indeed a shocking story. A village wiped out to avenge a captured officer. They rounded all the men up, took them to a barn, shot them all in their legs, poured petrol over them and set the barn on fire. All the women and children were locked in the church, village looted, then the church was blown up. The machine guns were waiting for them running out of the church. Over 600 people murdered. World at war described it thus:

Down this road, on a summer day in 1944 ... The soldiers came. Nobody lives here now. They stayed only a few hours. When they had gone, a community which had lived for a thousand years ... was dead.

This is Oradour-sur-Glane, in France. The day the soldiers came, the people were gathered together. The men were taken to garages and barns, the women and children were led down this road ... and they were driven ... into this church. Here, they heard the firing as their men were shot. Then . . . they were killed too. A few weeks later, many of those who had done the killing were themselves dead, in battle.

They never rebuilt Oradour. Its ruins are a memorial.
At the village of Oradour-sur-Glane, the day the soldiers came, they killed more than six hundred men, women ... and children. Remember.

The French jump to the defence of the French and nobody else
The Vichy French were also about to turn their fleet over to the Germans at Mers-El-Kebir which would have tipped the balance over the Royal Navy until Churchill sent the battleships in and sunk or damaged the French fleet on 3rd July 1940
Not our finest hour opening fire on former allies, but it had to be done desperate times call for desperate measures.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.