Veganism

Sunday roast with the family, chicken, lamb and beef washed down with 4 bottles of McEwans Champion ale!

Lovely jubbly!

@Juan King

Thanks for taking the time with that reply.Interesting from the aspect that you're fortunate enough to be in a position that allows for so much effort with your lifestyle/diet.From my perspective it looks adequate for the average joe but far too low on complete protein if your regularly stressing/training muscles.
It obviously works for you,so fair play.

The "complete protein" nonsense was dreamt up by the meat industry. It is easily possible to derive all essential amino acids from a plant based diet. When you are looking at a steak or chicken leg on your plate where do you think the animal got its protein from? They don't make it from thin air they get it from the plants they eat.

Mr mountain gorilla doesn't seem to have much problem growing his muscles eating plants.

The "complete protein" nonsense was dreamt up by the meat industry. It is easily possible to derive all essential amino acids from a plant based diet. When you are looking at a steak or chicken leg on your plate where do you think the animal got its protein from? They don't make it from thin air they get it from the plants they eat.

Mr mountain gorilla doesn't seem to have much problem growing his muscles eating plants.

However, he is yet to write a single word. When your day is spent almost entirely foraging for food you have little time for the bigger things.

I would guess that is down to evolution and genetics rather than diet.

I would guess that is down to evolution and genetics rather than diet.

and considering they are one of our closest on the evolutionary tree you confirm what I was trying to say. Its an old argument. There are lots of examples of bodybuilders and top class athletes who are vegan. I'm not btw but find it interesting.

and considering they are one of our closest on the evolutionary tree you confirm what I was trying to say. Its an old argument. There are lots of examples of bodybuilders and top class athletes who are vegan. I'm not btw but find it interesting.

The argument that you don't get enough protein in a vegan diet is a total myth. I only eat a plant based diet now, I'm tracking what I eat through CRON-O-Meter and I'm actually at 251% of my daily protein target from what I've had so far today. It's easy to get as much protein as you need with a plant based diet if you eat the right kinds of things. Plus you also get all the vitamins & minerals too and cut out the bad things that you get from animal products.

As you say there are increasing numbers of top class athletes adopting plant based diets. It's interesting that most people who try & talk down vegan diets have never tried them. If there are athletes that have tried both omnivorous & plant based diets & are then picking the plant based one, you can see there is something to it. From my own person experience it's one of the best things I've done along with packing in alcohol.

The argument that you don't get enough protein in a vegan diet is a total myth. I only eat a plant based diet now, I'm tracking what I eat through CRON-O-Meter and I'm actually at 251% of my daily protein target from what I've had so far today. It's easy to get as much protein as you need with a plant based diet if you eat the right kinds of things. Plus you also get all the vitamins & minerals too and cut out the bad things that you get from animal products.

As you say there are increasing numbers of top class athletes adopting plant based diets. It's interesting that most people who try & talk down vegan diets have never tried them. If there are athletes that have tried both omnivorous & plant based diets & are then picking the plant based one, you can see there is something to it. From my own person experience it's one of the best things I've done along with packing in alcohol.

I am seriously considering trying this for a time. I am lucky in that I like cooking and also really like vegetables and salad foods. Little by little the amount of animal protein I am consuming is getting smaller.

I am seriously considering trying this for a time. I am lucky in that I like cooking and also really like vegetables and salad foods. Little by little the amount of animal protein I am consuming is getting smaller.

I was always a big meat eater, up until about 19 months ago I would have found it nearly impossible to even have one meal that didn't contain some kind of animal based ingredient. I had about 15 months where I changed my diet and only ate meat about twice a week, then I cut out animal foods altogether & have been this way for about the last 4 months & it's been fairly easy. I'm into my cooking too, at first it seemed a bit daunting to basically ditch most of what I have cooked all my life. I'm now really enjoying making different things & the challenge of making things with no meat in, I've tried eating many more new ingredients too since I went plant based. It's not hard at all, I probably spend less time cooking now that I did when I ate meat.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.