Veganism

Purpose is a tricky word. To what end are all these 'sacrifices' made? But, ok, let's go with the the circle-of-life stuff. How does this enter the realms of ethics? Are you saying that because this is the way of things, that it must be right/good?
Toby wants to know by the way, the ecosystem is delicate I'm sure you'll agree, you might find this hard to believe but I'm a bit of an ecomentalist at heart, all matter gets recycled mostly though the food chain, my fight is with ethical sourcing of food not what you eat, I'll only ever support hunting if it's to provide a food source, or pest control and i've got my own views on that, I know your views on farmers is bad and I can empathise with that, I know some great ones that keep rare breeds better than thier wives, ask and I'll take you to one, or an ethical hunt, no guns no dogs, no traps

Toby wants to know by the way, the ecosystem is delicate I'm sure you'll agree, you might find this hard to believe but I'm a bit of an ecomentalist at heart, all matter gets recycled mostly though the food chain, my fight is with ethical sourcing of food not what you eat, I'll only ever support hunting if it's to provide a food source, or pest control and i've got my own views on that, I know your views on farmers is bad and I can empathise with that, I know some great ones that keep rare breeds better than thier wives, ask and I'll take you to one, or an ethical hunt, no guns no dogs, no traps

I see that as a big contradiction sadly. 'Humanely slaughtered' is a kind of oxymoron. There are plenty of other things to eat.

Give ot a rest

some of us eat meat and ain't gonna change

some of us are vegetarians

some or us are vegans

this thread was originallý informative, now it's a bit preachy.

each to their fucking own I say

Give ot a rest

some of us eat meat and ain't gonna change

some of us are vegetarians

some or us are vegans

this thread was originallý informative, now it's a bit preachy.

each to their fucking own I say

Thread is hereby useless.. Urban Genie said so. Veganism is debunked.. Ethics is a non subject.

Thread is hereby useless.. Urban Genie said so. Veganism is debunked.. Ethics is a non subject.

Said nothing of the sort

If you want to be a vegan, then be a vegen, fair fucks to you, if not then each to your own no ones business but yours and live with your choices.

Last edited:
I look at veganism as philosophical position (and that is what it is usually described as) Appeal to nature is a fallacy. We are of nature of course, what isn't? But it isn't an excuse. We do our 'can't give a shit' stuff, but there is a logic to veganism that is undeniable.

I'm not seeing the undeniable logic. What I am seeing is assertion dressed up as fact.

If nature is as nature is. Then veganism is unnatural.

I'm not seeing the undeniable logic. What I am seeing is assertion dressed up as fact.

If nature is as nature is. Then veganism is unnatural.

I don't really follow your last point, sorry. I think the argument is dirt simple. (Unnecessary) harm is bad (I think most people would grant that) so, animals being the conscious, sentient, pain feeling creatures they are, it would be wrong to inflict harm on them for trivial reasons. Eg. Taste buds.

I don't really follow your last point, sorry. I think the argument is dirt simple. (Unnecessary) harm is bad (I think most people would grant that) so, animals being the conscious, sentient, pain feeling creatures they are, it would be wrong to inflict harm on them for trivial reasons. Eg. Taste buds.

The definition of "necessary" i feel is open to personal interpretation here.

Humans started to take root and farm animals it was the greatest time of advancement in our species time. This was due solely to us having more time to contemplate and not forage, hunt and gather. With that i suggest we are regressing into allegory and personal standards of being, what constitutes humanity etc. We are here now because we "won the race" and the rest could be considered the spoils of war, after all we are a warring species to!

There is no plan or path from here but what we make of it is my opinion. We should take care of our planet more than we do a lot more than we do already though.

If a cow has felt grass under the hoof and enjoyed a nice life then one day poof it is just lights out, i can deal with that. Any suffering though is not something i would ever support regarding animals. We have a duty to them all as the dominant species with all the tools at our disposal, our brain being the main one. We seem to not engage it on global issues though to any extent as it does not make money.

I get that a native Chinese person may look at my dog as food, i get that. Just as i get cows are sacred to Hindu's. I just think if they tried to eat my dog i'd carve their heart out with a chainsaw. People hold different values and i respect that in life, not much more to say really.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.