Veganism

Speaking of cruel, you never answered my quesion. I asked if the footage of the pigs being gassed looked like cruelty to you or not? What do you think?
You are using an event highlighting animal cruelty as a yardstick to justify your dietary choice. We all agree,
or at least I'd hope we agree, that such practices are barbaric, but that video is not typical of animal husbandry
or eventual slaughter. Cruel practices need to be stamped out, for sure, and improvements can be made,
but I have a farmer mate who's been involved with cattle all his life, none of his suffer in the way some have been
portrayed, he's just as horrified as anyone at cruel practices, but his beasts were bred and reared for one purpose,
that of providing beef for market.
I think many vegans are squeamish by nature, and apply an anthropomorphic slant to their arguments,
I've no problem with their choices but personally don't think the world will sit up and take notice anytime soon.

You are using an event highlighting animal cruelty as a yardstick to justify your dietary choice. We all agree,
or at least I'd hope we agree, that such practices are barbaric, but that video is not typical of animal husbandry
or eventual slaughter. Cruel practices need to be stamped out, for sure, and improvements can be made,
but I have a farmer mate who's been involved with cattle all his life, none of his suffer in the way some have been
portrayed, he's just as horrified as anyone at cruel practices, but his beasts were bred and reared for one purpose,
that of providing beef for market.
I think many vegans are squeamish by nature, and apply an anthropomorphic slant to their arguments,
I've no problem with their choices but personally don't think the world will sit up and take notice anytime soon.

We agree that the practice shown in the footage is barbaric then. Sadly this is not rare footage of isolated cases. About a third of pigs in the UK are killed in gas chambers. The other certified humane method of pig slaughter in the UK is electrical stunning with the aim to render the animals unconscious before they have their throats slit, however stunning is often poorly executed by rushed slaughterhouse workers which results in an estimated 1.8 million pigs regaining consciousness on the production line each year and being fully conscious as they die from blood loss.

Can you ever humanely kill an animal?

Farmers are just supplying a demand, if the demand changes then they will change what they farm. Someone I know has rare breed cattle and is farming them in what he believes is the best way possible, I would agree that the way his cattle live is much better than an animal raised on a factory farm. Do you think the animals raised on small local farms are taken to different slaughterhouses, or are they killed in the same way factory farmed animals are?

I think most right minded people would say they are against animal cruelty & if they saw someone beating a dog in the street, they would try & intervene rather than walking past. Why is this any different?

I don't think you have to apply an anthropomorphic slant to see that the animals in the footage look like they are in in distress & don't want to die, do you?

The below is worth a watch & is all about UK animal farming:

We agree that the practice shown in the footage is barbaric then. Sadly this is not rare footage of isolated cases. About a third of pigs in the UK are killed in gas chambers. The other certified humane method of pig slaughter in the UK is electrical stunning with the aim to render the animals unconscious before they have their throats slit, however stunning is often poorly executed by rushed slaughterhouse workers which results in an estimated 1.8 million pigs regaining consciousness on the production line each year and being fully conscious as they die from blood loss.

Can you ever humanely kill an animal?

Farmers are just supplying a demand, if the demand changes then they will change what they farm. Someone I know has rare breed cattle and is farming them in what he believes is the best way possible, I would agree that the way his cattle live is much better than an animal raised on a factory farm. Do you think the animals raised on small local farms are taken to different slaughterhouses, or are they killed in the same way factory farmed animals are?

I think most right minded people would say they are against animal cruelty & if they saw someone beating a dog in the street, they would try & intervene rather than walking past. Why is this any different?

I don't think you have to apply an anthropomorphic slant to see that the animals in the footage look like they are in in distress & don't want to die, do you?

The below is worth a watch & is all about UK animal farming:

Revelationary. I'm bored of explaining my dietry choice but as it's my choice and I won't enforce it on others.
I was previously ignorant. Not any more.

The part of my post you are talking about is this:

"This is growing, whether people like it or not. I was at an event in London last week called Vegan Nights and there were loads of really good food stalls with 100's of people there and massive queues to buy the food."

The event was full of all kinds of people, not just vegans, who were there for the quality & variety of food on offer. The event was just one of many now taking place, showcasing plant based food and was rammed on a Thursday night with most places selling out, and ridiculous queues. My post was highlighting the growing demand for plant based food from vegans & non vegans. You will notice most supermarkets & restaurants are now starting to offer plant based options as the demand is growing. A lot of the big companies are getting on board with this.

You should try some of the food, you might be surprised at how good it is.

There are pictures of the sorts of things that were available on the link below. There was some excellent food:

https://www.instagram.com/vegannightsldn
You should try a bacon sandwich, or a nice, juicy steak.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.