Video refs

This would be my main concern with it (i.e. that it ends up not solving much at all). The laws of the game are so vague that most incidents can be argued either way. We see this every week with players, managers, pundits, fans and even qualified referees all disagreeing with each other over the same incident.

The clearcut, 100% certain fouls are relatively few and far between, and while I agree it's imperative that something is done to make sure those decisions are right, the majority of the time we'd just be introducing yet another layer of subjectivity that's open to abuse.

The problem lies in the laws of the game, something that isn't such an issue in the likes of tennis, cricket and rugby.

just like rugby if there's doubt you don't give it, but go through the process, to not do it is negligent in my eyes, there is so much at stake at the top level of football, yesterdays was so blatant and obvious it was ridiculous

Terrible idea, nearly every decision would be opinion based, Sane handball, Sterling first penalty shout, 2 people watching the same clip would come to different conclusions, it works in other sports as it deals in facts and even then some decisions take several minutes to make

mate it would take seconds to know yes it hit his hand but no intent apart from spurs fans

Terrible idea, nearly every decision would be opinion based, Sane handball, Sterling first penalty shout, 2 people watching the same clip would come to different conclusions, it works in other sports as it deals in facts and even then some decisions take several minutes to make

This has to be the most ridiculous comment of 2017!

"Nearly every decision would be opinion based"

Hard to imagine them taking away one of their last remaining methods of exercising their corruption and bias to influence the outcome of a game - i.e. the officials.

Unless the video review panel appointments are personally vetted by David Gill, in which case it might happen.

Absolutely spot on - there are so many in every game that one would be totally insufficient.

Isn't it normally the done thing that you have your challenge remaining in tact if you're correct in asking for it? So long as you saved it for something you were fairly certain on, e.g. the penalty claim yesterday, then you'd still have your challenge to use again later if needed.

Another plus for me would be that it might make the referee's job slightly easier as players would dive less. There'd be no point if they knew it was going to be watched back and result in a yellow card.

Spot on. The off field officials could be selected to continue their shenanigans but then there would be no room to question things once the 'video' is reviewed and a decision is made 'based on the evidence'.
It will be great IF the panel is totally neutral.

Any video review, exactly what the umpteenth official is watching, should be shown simulataneously on the big screen. Fuck this crap about not showing the balls of a job that refs are making. The hard-earned money City fans paid yesterday to get a referee who just wasn't interested in awarding a stonewall pen, three times. Blind Andre probably decided about a 'no pen game' last Tuesday!

What the fuck does all that mean?
Let me make it clearer - if there is bias applied to certain teams via the on field officials, what's to say the same bias won't be applied by the off field officials who review the video during the games?

While it is theoretically possible that the video refs could be bent, it would be so blindingly obvious that the bentness would be untenable.
At least now, the officials can claim a one-shot at the decisions.

On a serious note, I don't see why the Premier League has exclusively English referees. We've long since established that it's mainly foreigners who are at the top of the playing and managerial professions. Why do they think that referees would be any different? They should be hiring the best referees from around the world with the added bonus of not risking appointing referees to their favourite club (even though they all claim to support some obscure non-league side).
I've been saying this for years, foreign referees are less likely to be biased than English ones in a game involving English teams.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.