General Videogame Thread

Bought a PS4 as a bit of an extravagance to get the VR headset and banish my children to the 2 x XB1 i was never getting near. It has however mostly been a very very expensive dust gatherer.

I may get this from your recommendation in the hope my love of gaming might get rekindled :)

Can't recommend it highly enough, it's like playing an interactive movie... story telling and voice acting is brilliant.

I enjoyed The Last Of Us and I'll be happy to play the sequel, but the unending praise of it is unjustified in my opinion. It's a good, immersive experience but at the end of the day it's the same gameplay as pretty much every other game out there. It's also on rails, so you don't have to do much thinking. It's quite repetitive. Walk over there, hide behind something, kill some zombies, repeat. Overall, it is a very good game but absolutely nowhere near the standard of GTA.

I enjoyed The Last Of Us and I'll be happy to play the sequel, but the unending praise of it is unjustified in my opinion. It's a good, immersive experience but at the end of the day it's the same gameplay as pretty much every other game out there. It's also on rails, so you don't have to do much thinking. It's quite repetitive. Walk over there, hide behind something, kill some zombies, repeat. Overall, it is a very good game but absolutely nowhere near the standard of GTA.
Glad you said it, I thought I was going mad.

How can you compare the two? One is an open-world sandbox, and the other, as you say, is a linear adventure - difference being the story, the characters and the dynamics between the characters in TLOU absolutely pisses all over the same things in GTA

Hate sandbox games tbh, I used to like them but it seems like they absolutely flooded the market with them and they all just became so generic. I know it generally results in the game being longer, but most of the time that's just through incredibly repetitive missions.

Currently playing Persona 5 and it's great fun, if incredibly weird and Japanese. Love turned based RPG's but had never played the Persona games and was a bit worried by just how over stylised and Japanese the game looked but deep down it's pretty much a combination of Final Fantasy and Pokémon with maybe a bit of Shenmue style wandering around making friends thrown in there. Surprisingly dark for such a colourful and cartoony game, the first boss is a teacher who's abusing his students causing one of them to try and kill themselves. Definitely took me by surprise

How can you compare the two? One is an open-world sandbox, and the other, as you say, is a linear adventure - difference being the story, the characters and the dynamics between the characters in TLOU absolutely pisses all over the same things in GTA
I was comparing them only in terms of quality. That is, the GTA games exist and they are ridiculously good, so other games - regardless of genre - should strive for that standard.

Having said that, I would have been justified in making a direct comparison. The range of genres in games has become so narrow that you pulled me up for comparing two games in which you move a human character around a realistic world in third-person perspective, shooting baddies. It's a sad state of affairs for gaming when these are considered incomparable because of the way you navigate the map. But that's a separate discussion I suppose.

Well i took the plunge today, £16 for the remastered version of the last of us (dlc included or something).

Though i went out to get Fallout 3 GOTY edition :)

Never understood the hype with GTA games, repetitive with rubbish story lines. I got gta5 and got bored after 4 hours.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.