General Videogame Thread

Nintendo have struggled since the 90s, only thing keeping it going is the Pokemon franchise! If that would have ended when the creator had planned it to (in 2000) then Nintendo would be on its arse! In fact Nintendo's revenue from sales has more than halved in the last 5 years!

Not really sure if you are a troll or just hate Nintendo so much that you are ignorant. Either way I'll take your bait.

The Wii came out after the 90's in 2006 and was one of the most successful consoles of all time, sold 101 million consoles. At the same time they had the DS handheld, also in 2006 which is the highest selling handheld console of all time, 154 million sales. Only the PS2 has sold more.

Now the Switch is Nintendo's most successful launch ever.

Not really sure if you are a troll or just hate Nintendo so much that you are ignorant. Either way I'll take your bait.

The Wii came out after the 90's in 2006 and was one of the most successful consoles of all time, sold 101 million consoles. At the same time they had the DS handheld, also in 2006 which is the highest selling handheld console of all time, 154 million sales. Only the PS2 has sold more.

yeah but apart from that :)

Yeah and all that stems from the success of Pokemon world wide, without Pokemon in the 90s where would Nintendo have been? In between 96-06 They would have had to rely on Zelda OoT to keep the money rolling in!

Since 1996 Nintendo have released 14 generations of pokemon games... a game based on a franchise that planned to end the series in 99' but then was demanded that it be continued by Nintendo.

I don't hate Nintendo, not sure why you came to that conclusion? Perhaps because I don't worship the ground they walk on? But like I said i don't hate them I just find it frustrating when people hype them up for 6 months buy their latest console then ignore it after 3 months like everyone else...
Not saying I don't fall for it, I'm like every other mug who fell into the Wii hype, played it for about 2 months on and off and not touched it since!
A good console is something you can go back to after a number of years. Take the PS1 for example a great console with a large number of great games, so good that if I didn't have my PS3 I'd buy another PS1 (as my old one broke). I wouldn't however go out and buy an N64 just for 4 games, or the Wii for the Wii fit/sport (the only games that were really designed for the wii's capabilities)

Nintendo will always do well anyway as the following in Asia is massive and as long as you've got that market cornered then you're pretty much sorted, as Nintendo tend to release a lot of games in Japan only and ignore Europe and America.

The Wii was vastly successful hardware sales wise but it signified a big change in Nintendo's status, they were no longer competing for the primary console spot in the household. It sold well for it's motion control novelty(great marketing on that) but also as a second console to go with your PS3/360. Even my old man bought one, the hardware was inexpensive compared to the others, I do think out of the millions that bought it other than hardcore Nintendo fans, most people found theirs gathering dust soon after the novelty wore off. Also "most successful launch" is a tagline most gamers should be bored of hearing by now, it's an overused marketing trick used for games aswell as hardware. I don't think anyone has said they hate Nintendo, they are just a games giant trying to make money like any other, maybe some of us prefer not sugarcoat things or laud one over all else(or Japanese games over Western ones and so on) is all.

The Wii was vastly successful hardware sales wise but it signified a big change in Nintendo's status, they were no longer competing for the primary console spot in the household. It sold well for it's motion control novelty(great marketing on that) but also as a second console to go with your PS3/360. Even my old man bought one, the hardware was inexpensive compared to the others, I do think out of the millions that bought it other than hardcore Nintendo fans, most people found theirs gathering dust soon after the novelty wore off. Also "most successful launch" is a tagline most gamers should be bored of hearing by now, it's an overused marketing trick used for games aswell as hardware. I don't think anyone has said they hate Nintendo, they are just a games giant trying to make money like any other, maybe some of us prefer not sugarcoat things or laud one over all else(or Japanese games over Western ones and so on) is all.
My Wii ended up becoming a glorified GameCube, so in a way its life-span was extended by going backwards rather than forwards!

There were some great Wii exclusives, but mostly these games could be better played with a Wii gamepad or GC controller rather than the motion one, thus removing that novelty.

Had I not had my GameCube collection I don't think I would have got much out of the Wii, personally. Nintendo IPs are great but there just aren't enough of them for me to justify buying a Nintendo console at launch or even as new.

My Wii ended up becoming a glorified GameCube, so in a way its life-span was extended by going backwards rather than forwards!

There were some great Wii exclusives, but mostly these games could be better played with a Wii gamepad or GC controller rather than the motion one, thus removing that novelty.

Had I not had my GameCube collection I don't think I would have got much out of the Wii, personally. Nintendo IPs are great but there just aren't enough of them for me to justify buying a Nintendo console at launch or even as new.

I think Nintendo's market is definitely handheld devices! I don't understand why they never tried to take over mobile phones, not just game wise but actual devices.... the gameboy and the DS' are prime example of how Nintendo are above and beyond with handhelds.
Their IPs are more than capable of running on handheld devices, problem with switch is that they've tried to create games capable of running it in console mode to the point when you try to play them on the standalone handheld the games stutter like fuck due to lack of processing power. Also been reports of some devices having dead pixles to which Nintendo's response was pretty much "get over it" which is poor marketing.

I would have had the switch as it is in a heart beat, but the cons that have been going around about the device are really big cons, and it sounds like the gameplay is damn near none enjoyable, and for the price you're paying it's like 'what's the point?'..... shame really as the potential to play Skyrim whilst having a shit was the selling point for me!

Yeah and all that stems from the success of Pokemon world wide, without Pokemon in the 90s where would Nintendo have been? In between 96-06 They would have had to rely on Zelda OoT to keep the money rolling in!

Since 1996 Nintendo have released 14 generations of pokemon games... a game based on a franchise that planned to end the series in 99' but then was demanded that it be continued by Nintendo.

I don't hate Nintendo, not sure why you came to that conclusion? Perhaps because I don't worship the ground they walk on? But like I said i don't hate them I just find it frustrating when people hype them up for 6 months buy their latest console then ignore it after 3 months like everyone else...
Not saying I don't fall for it, I'm like every other mug who fell into the Wii hype, played it for about 2 months on and off and not touched it since!
A good console is something you can go back to after a number of years. Take the PS1 for example a great console with a large number of great games, so good that if I didn't have my PS3 I'd buy another PS1 (as my old one broke). I wouldn't however go out and buy an N64 just for 4 games, or the Wii for the Wii fit/sport (the only games that were really designed for the wii's capabilities)

Nintendo will always do well anyway as the following in Asia is massive and as long as you've got that market cornered then you're pretty much sorted, as Nintendo tend to release a lot of games in Japan only and ignore Europe and America.

Probably it's based on what you wrote.

Nintendo hasn't had any success since the 90's when clearly they have. Probably why you have changed your opinion all of a sudden.

Probably it's based on what you wrote.

Nintendo hasn't had any success since the 90's when clearly they have. Probably why you have changed your opinion all of a sudden.

There's a difference between struggling and having no success, but feel free to put words in my mouth if you want, maybe get a job working for the sun using your new found ability.

Picked up Dishonored 2 for £15 over the weekend. Enjoyed the 1st one. Seems to be more of the same but enjoying it again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.