Vincent Kompany - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vincent Kompany hasn’t featured much since his return from yet another spell on the sidelines, but Pep Guardiola has his reasons for keeping him out of the starting line-up so far. It’s not as a precautionary principle though, it’s purely tactics.

When asked whether he was protecting Kompany from further injuries, Pep said:

“It’s not about that, I think he’s fit now – I’m so happy. For three or four weeks he’s trained.

“The reason why he didn’t play, like Nico Otamendi, against Swansea, was because we knew that Fernando Llorente is a striker but was going to mark Yaya Touré, so our central defenders would be free without the ball and we needed two guys with good build-up.

“On the left side, Kolarov is really good for the passes on the other side, the passes inside, and John Stones had the qualities to build out from the back as well – that’s the reason why.

“We knew that in the first half, we were going to defend far away from our box, they are going to use not too much counter-attacking.

“That’s why it was not necessary to have central defenders in the box defending a lot of crosses.

“But Vincent, I’m so delighted and happy he’s back, because I know how well he can play, and of course we are going to use him in some special games.”

Vincent Kompany hasn’t featured much since his return from yet another spell on the sidelines, but Pep Guardiola has his reasons for keeping him out of the starting line-up so far. It’s not as a precautionary principle though, it’s purely tactics.

“It’s not about that, I think he’s fit now – I’m so happy. For three or four weeks he’s trained.

“The reason why he didn’t play, like Nico Otamendi, against Swansea, was because we knew that Fernando Llorente is a striker but was going to mark Yaya Touré, so our central defenders would be free without the ball and we needed two guys with good build-up.

“On the left side, Kolarov is really good for the passes on the other side, the passes inside, and John Stones had the qualities to build out from the back as well – that’s the reason why.

“We knew that in the first half, we were going to defend far away from our box, they are going to use not too much counter-attacking.

“That’s why it was not necessary to have central defenders in the box defending a lot of crosses.

“But Vincent, I’m so delighted and happy he’s back, because I know how well he can play, and of course we are going to use him in some special games.”

I read this earlier and although Pep gets my full backing this decision is the one that I would question the most. A fit VK is head and shoulders above any other centre-back we have and for me should be playing every week (until injured again). Are we really in a situation where Kolarov is being picked ahead of VK on merit?

I read this earlier and although Pep gets my full backing this decision is the one that I would question the most. A fit VK is head and shoulders above any other centre-back we have and for me should be playing every week (until injured again). Are we really in a situation where Kolarov is being picked ahead of VK on merit?
He explained in detail why he used the others instead and i don't see a problem,when we need more muscle at the back he will be in i'm sure

That completely makes sense. Probably won't see him tonight then as I'm not sure Bournemouth are the physical sort.

He explained in detail why he used the others instead and i don't see a problem,when we need more muscle at the back he will be in i'm sure

Yeah but most weeks we have 70% possession and the game follows a similar pattern. Are we saying that VK will be wheeled out for half a dozen games a season where the opposition are better and can potentially cause us more problems? VK might struggle to consistently ping 60 yard cross-field passes like AK does but I am more concerned about the stupid goals we give away through garbage defending and a distinct lack of leadership at the back.

Yeah but most weeks we have 70% possession and the game follows a similar pattern. Are we saying that VK will be wheeled out for half a dozen games a season where the opposition are better and can potentially cause us more problems? VK might struggle to consistently ping 60 yard cross-field passes like AK does but I am more concerned about the stupid goals we give away through garbage defending and a distinct lack of leadership at the back.
We have been a lot more steady at the back recently,dropping bravo has helped a lot with that i think,i'm more pissed off with what is going on with sergio than i am about vinny,pep plans games one at a time and what the opposition tactics are,that is the right way to do it imo

We have been a lot more steady at the back recently,dropping bravo has helped a lot with that i think,i'm more pissed off with what is going on with sergio than i am about vinny,pep plans games one at a time and what the opposition tactics are,that is the right way to do it imo

The Sergio situation is annoying but at least I can see why its happening. Sergio hasn't played consistently well this season and we have someone who has come in, looks sensational and can be a genuine alternative to Serg. None of our other CBs however get anywhere near the level of VK. I am not having that Vinny cannot play the same 5-10 yard passes that Stones and Otamendi can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.