Vincent Kompany - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep must rate his ability and leadership but I suspect he doesn't believe he's capable of playing 30+ games next season

I think Peps just not prepared to gamble on it.

He will aim to have a defence that can win the league without Vinny playing a game. That might make things awkward for Kompany because he will find himself effectively a redundant part, and quite possibly not playing much even when fit.

Hopefully they'll strike a balance and everyone will be happy.

He will aim to have a defence that can win the league without Vinny playing a game. That might make things awkward for Kompany because he will find himself effectively a redundant part, and quite possibly not playing much even when fit.

I really hope Vinny rates himself to challenge the new guard. FWIW I think he does

Would he be happy to stay just because of his status? Would he want to stay if Pep made it clear that Stones & whichever new centre back we sign will be first choices, with Vinny and Otamendi as back ups?

I think Vinny will stay if he believes in his own fitness

He's got to plan for that. So have we, as supporters, however much we love him.

Kompany's brilliance has highlighted the squads' deficiencies better than any opposition. I think everyone has also noted that once we've got a marauding RB in Navas, our wingplay has become much more dangerous. Not that Navas is a great RB, we just lacked personnell to execute certain basic functions.

Would he be happy to stay just because of his status? Would he want to stay if Pep made it clear that Stones & whichever new centre back we sign will be first choices, with Vinny and Otamendi as back ups?

As it is now, I'm pretty sure that if Kompany is fit and there is no reason for Pep to expect the player gets injured again, he will play Kompany as he is the best option to him. He might start Stones and whatever CB we may buy, but if Kompany soon proves he is better than any of these two, Pep will play Kompany. Than again it's not just simply one is better than the other, the less better player might prove to be of more use to the team or within the system they play. For exemple right now Navas seems to be better suited at right back, but he is per definition not a better right back than Zaba. Finally what Kompany has going for him is his presence has no doubt a positive influence to other teammates.

There are still a few games left for Kompay to prove he can play the normal amount of games that can be asked of any squad player. Starting with back to back games coming up vs Arsenal and United. See if he gets through that, rest him the next game and so on to keep building up gradually. History doesn't speak in favor of Kompany, but his influence is there for all to see. Stones might (and imho will) get there, but he needs to inheret some of the ruthlesness Kompany has in his game.

What makes you think that?

I understand your question if I would have left out the IF as in 'IF Kompany is fit ...'.

Than again his injuryrecord speaks volume. I simply put some hope in the fact that Kompany played all out 90 minutes vs Chelsea and 90 minutes vs Saints. It's at least a start. Just imagine what another 90 or 120 vs Arsenal and 90 vs United will do to his and the fans confidence. It's all about building up the number of games and minutes per week his body let him play.
As we all can see Kompany is by far the best CB we have and what his presence does to other players. So ofcourse Pep will pick him whenever possible. If Pep or the club should buy another CB and sell Kompany because his injuryrecord isn't to be trusted is imo another matter.

This seemed the appropriate thread to respond in
You don't half talk some shit Yankee boy...

I look forward to your 'well I've been saying this' diatribe post Wembley summation..

Note to self, you can't have your cake and eat it numpty, the reason the defence looked more comfortable is due to the psychological impact Kompany gives the back line, clichy arguably had his best game of the season but has also played in those 10 games you mentioned,'coincidence???

You just scream out of a guy who has never played the game in any shape or form, other than Pro Evo/FIFA. Communication has been the shortfall of the defence all year, a person able to organise whilst on the field, ffs I'm arguing with an American who thinks that guy is otamendi....

Back in your box
Oh no! Zimmer is throwing combinations "Yankee boy", "pro evo/Fifa player", "diatribe poster". And lets not forget the subtle "American" (i.e he knows fiddly squat about soccer... I'm sorry, I meant football) jab.

So impressive with the Trumpian distractions of insults but as usual not so much with the substance of your response. Typical.

Your whole point relies on the nebulous "psychological effect on the team" argument. It's the same tired and convenient argument folks who dont have facts on their side trot out. I call it the "believe argument." Its true simply because you believe. Its like the folks who can see more confident defenders when Willy is in goal, vs when Bravo is.

Again our defense had played this well multiple times before in the absence of Kompany, and often the common factor was the offensive talents of the opposition or lack thereof rather than who we had playing on our side.

As for your "he made Clichy have his best game" argument, again this cannot be proven. Seeing as he, Clichy, has had great games in the absence of Kompany (I.e at Sunderlands and at Stoke.) Unfortunately for you both games did not have al the Kompany "psychological booster" aiding Clichy. The point here is that Clichy played as well multiple times this year, so attributing this performance to someone else is weak at best.

But you know what, your jibes were at least decent today. So there is always that. So kudos for being "out of your box" on that one. (:)

This seemed the appropriate thread to respond in

Oh no! Zimmer is throwing combinations "Yankee boy", "pro evo/Fifa player", "diatribe poster". And lets not forget the subtle "American" (i.e he knows fiddly squat about soccer... I'm sorry, I meant football) jab.

So impressive with the Trumpian distractions of insults but as usual not so much with the substance of your response. Typical.

Your whole point relies on the nebulous "psychological effect on the team" argument. It's the same tired and convenient argument folks who dont have facts on their side trot out. I call it the "believe argument." Its true simply because you believe. Its like the folks who can see more confident defenders when Willy is in goal, vs when Bravo is.

Again our defense had played this well multiple times before in the absence of Kompany, and often the common factor was the offensive talents of the opposition or lack thereof rather than who we had playing on our side.

As for your "he made Clichy have his best game" argument, again this cannot be proven. Seeing as he, Clichy, has had great games in the absence of Kompany (I.e at Sunderlands and at Stoke.) Unfortunately for you both games did not have al the Kompany "psychological booster" aiding Clichy. The point here is that Clichy played as well multiple times this year, so attributing this performance to someone else is weak at best.

But you know what, your jibes were at least decent today. So there is always that. So kudos for being "out of your box" on that one. (:)
Just as a fan I feel calmer and more confident when Kompany is in our defence, absolutely no reason to think it isn't the same for the players, maybe even more so. They are humans not automatons so of course all manner of things will affect them psychologically. What do you think of ex pros confirming that if you have certain players missing or playing it makes a huge difference to the psychology of the team going into a match? Are they talking bollocks too because they cannot "prove" it? You stick to your stats (that you seem think prove everything you believe about the game) and the rest of us can deal in the reality that stats only tell you a fraction of anything about football and that what you see as "nebulous" arguments are often every bit as important and real as any statistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.