Vincent Kompany - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im going to say this as this is what i thought, It will not go down well but fuck it.

Vinny looked very uncomfortable yesterday and didn't look sharp at all.

I love Vinny, but he didn't have the best of games.

THIS IS MY OPINION.
I think it maybe just his loss of pace. His general all round game was pretty much Vinny, but all that time out I think has taken it's toll regarding his speed. Also playing on the right side of back to 3, put more pressure on his speed, especially when they hoofed it long over the top.

Misplaced a couple of passes? So did Silva, so did KDB so did, well, pretty much everybody over the 90 minutes. I'm not saying he was flawless by the way, I just don't understand how he can be called out for being poor on the evidence of yesterday's game. I'm also unsure what being uncomfortable in his position means when Brighton didn't offer up anything in the way of a test. What they did was dealt with by the backline pretty easily apart from a couple of set pieces that may have ended with us conceding on another day.

Im going to say this as this is what i thought, It will not go down well but fuck it.

Vinny looked very uncomfortable yesterday and didn't look sharp at all.

I love Vinny, but he didn't have the best of games.

THIS IS MY OPINION.

Under little pressure defensively, going forward there nothing for him to aim at with all of Brighton behind the ball. I really thought this was a game suited to Yaya, knowing he would not have to defend much and, had he played, all Vinnie needed to do was find him and let him control the game. He certainly would have done that.

I think it maybe just his loss of pace. His general all round game was pretty much Vinny, but all that time out I think has taken it's toll regarding his speed. Also playing on the right side of back to 3, put more pressure on his speed, especially when they hoofed it long over the top.
His lack of pace was very noticeable yesterday. He still read situations excellently and snuffed out a lot of balls through but I worry our high line is open to exploitation against counter attacking teams. Walker and Mendy/Danilo will have to monitor their wings against better teams and recover.

Misplaced a couple of passes? So did Silva, so did KDB so did, well, pretty much everybody over the 90 minutes. I'm not saying he was flawless by the way, I just don't understand how he can be called out for being poor on the evidence of yesterday's game. I'm also unsure what being uncomfortable in his position means when Brighton didn't offer up anything in the way of a test. What they did was dealt with by the backline pretty easily apart from a couple of set pieces that may have ended with us conceding on another day.

See this is why an opinion should be taken as just that. I am not comparing Vinny to Silva, KDB or whoever. I am comparing him to his own ability and yesterday he was a far cry from it. He wasn't match sharp yesterday. Its mealy an observation, nothing personal against our captain. He'll be back to match sharpness without a doubt soon enough.

His lack of pace was very noticeable yesterday. He still read situations excellently and snuffed out a lot of balls through but I worry our high line is open to exploitation against counter attacking teams. Walker and Mendy/Danilo will have to monitor their wings against better teams and recover.
Agree.

Everybody misplace passes that's true. But when Vinnie's pass is intercepted, the opponent is on an instant counter attack and he has nobody behind him. Pretty sure when Silva or KDB misplace a pass, they're not the last line of defence. Vinnie's passing should be compared to Stones and Otamendi and last game they were much better than Vinnie.

I noticed his severe lack of pace when he got taken on by their winger (can't remember who, need to rewatch). Vinnie chased after him all the way down the wing and, where others would have put in a last ditch slide tackle to block a cross/ pass, Kompany knew the winger had to cut back due to a lack of options in the box and stood up to him. Nothing major but he's just a really smart defender and I hope Stones and (even more so) Otamendi are learning from that kind of awareness and intelligent play.

Everybody misplace passes that's true. But when Vinnie's pass is intercepted, the opponent is on an instant counter attack and he has nobody behind him. Pretty sure when Silva or KDB misplace a pass, they're not the last line of defence. Vinnie's passing should be compared to Stones and Otamendi and last game they were much better than Vinnie.
Stones made a terrible pass high up the pitch that led to a counter which was fortunately snuffed out quickly. Vinnies passing is not something I worry about.

Thought there were similarities between how he played against West Ham in Iceland. The ball frequently ends up with Kompany who somehow feels obliged to get the ball moving forward and attempts 'riskier' passes than might actually be wise; he's repeatedly given away possession in the last two games. Now, whether this is a case of Stones and Otamendi passing the buck and allowing the ball to come to the right, or a case of the opponent recognising that Kompany is prone to taking the risk and actively funneling play in that direction, I don't know, but it has happened. Kompany used his nous to stand up the opponent on Saturday, but it all stemmed from him losing possession in the first place. I don't necessarily think it's a case of Kompany's passing be poor, more a consequence of us having fewer midfielders to pick out when we play with three at the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.