Vincent Kompany - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously nowhere near as comfortable as the other three centre halves on the ball. And that hampers us, badly, at times. But he was also one of the reasons we dominated for the first 60 mins or so, as he won pretty much every header against those two lumps upfront. Neither Stones nor Laporte would have done the same.

Vinny was brought in for that extra bit of aggression needed for games against Burnley. While it wasn't vintage Kompany (that was his second full 90 minutes for a very long time) it did the job.

Obviously nowhere near as comfortable as the other three centre halves on the ball. And that hampers us, badly, at times. But he was also one of the reasons we dominated for the first 60 mins or so, as he won pretty much every header against those two lumps upfront. Neither Stones nor Laporte would have done the same.
I think Laporte would have done the same as that is his other main attribute (aerial duel win % is very high, and was against Cardiff, as well).

Vinny did fairly well defending wise until the last 30 minutes and then went to bobbins, unfortunately. I counted two (maybe three) instances where he made poor decisions on clearances that immediately gave Burnley a chance on goal. That may have been fatigue setting in but, at this level, I am not sure we can excuse it.

But his passing and tactical decision-making throughout the match were poor, which slowed things down quite a bit and visibly frustrated his teammates.

He is a fairly good defender, still (though, nowhere near his lofty best), but he is not really a defender for our current system, and as @BigOscar said, I think his injuries masked that weakness a bit.

Last edited:
Not sure how you can make that statement about laporte after watching 1 game of his. Kompany is a legend. Don't need to bring down current players to make
You've seen laporte play one game and try to slight him to justify Kompanys performance

Agree with pretty much all of that, apart from on Laporte. He’s good in the air, but nowhere near as good as Kompany. And Barnes in particular, for all his obvious limitations as a footballer, is a real fucking handful who usually wins more than his fair share against pretty much anyone. In the first half, he won nothing.

Not sure how you can make that statement about laporte after watching 1 game of his. Kompany is a legend. Don't need to bring down current players to make

You've seen laporte play one game and try to slight him to justify Kompanys performance
Not trying to slight him at all. Fantastic player, delighted we’ve got him, and - put bluntly - an obvious upgrade on present-day Vinny. But simply not as strong in the air as him. And I’m not trying to ‘justify’ Kompany’s performance either - simply pointing out that for 60 mins he was good, before then going to shit in the final half hour.

Played well for the most part but tired towards the end

Glad to see him play another 90mins and his interview at the end was fantastic

Looked like Mangala on the ball today. Nothing but sideways passes all game.

One of the reasons we were so inefficient with the ball.

Give him the cup games to prove himself again.

Not a Pep player because technically he just isnt good enough.

Not his fault and he has been an utterly fantastic player, captain and ambassador for the club but he wont get a sniff with Laporte now here.

Vinny was brought in for that extra bit of aggression needed for games against Burnley. While it wasn't vintage Kompany (that was his second full 90 minutes for a very long time) it did the job.
Agree. I thought he was doing. Good job of dealing with their aerial/physical game but he tired towards the end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.