Vista upgrade

TINY

Just upgraded my computer to Vista Home Premium, but now my audio doesnt work? I realise it must be something to do with a driver of somesort, but I have no idea whatsoever on how to get one and install the right one. My computer is an advent if that helps? Any help/advice appreciated.

You did run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor before you started and noted all the issues it raised, didn't you??

You'd need to look on Advent's website to see if they have released Vista drivers. Or go on www.crucial.com and get it to scan your system and tell you what motherboard you've got and look on the mobo manufacturer's website (if it is an on-board sound card) or check the sound card upgrade advice.

You may end up saving yourself time and tears by buying a new, cheap sound card that is already Vista'd.

Cheers for that BS. Yeah I did run that pre-scan and it told me I needed to uninstall some programmes (Nero for some reason, Daemon tools and something else) I did them, then it upgraded no problemo. But now, on the side of the clock it has the megaphone with a big X through it and says "No audio output device is installed" when I hover over it.

I've gone to that site you suggested and it tells me my motherboard name but I dont really know where to go from there to be honest. I've been to the Advent site (well actually its techguys.com who are their technical support people) and downloaded Vist Hd audio device driver, which I thought would do the trick, but when I go to install it, it says that no HD audio device was found?

I've been to the device manager and it says "High definition audio device" with an exclamation mark next to it. I go to properties and it says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and nothing. I've tried using the 'search online for supported driver' and it just comes back with "the best driver for your device is already installed". So basically I'm confused!

If you have anymore suggestions before I smash the sound card and buy another...it would be appreciated.

You forgot to mention which motherboard you have :-D

Also is this an on-board built in audio device or a pci sound card?

I presume its built in, I havent bought one and installed one so...?

I've just ran that everest programme that checks your whole system. Here are the results.

Field Value
Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Edition
OS Service Pack -
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name JONNY-PC
User Name Jonny

Motherboard
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 3000 MHz
Motherboard Name MSI MS-7046 (Medion OEM)
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 1024 MB
BIOS Type Award (03/11/05)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter RADEON X300/X550 Series
Video Adapter RADEON X300/X550 Series
Monitor Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB] (761)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB]

Storage
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2651
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
SCSI/RAID Controller Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
SCSI/RAID Controller SCSI/RAID Host Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive ST3200822AS ATA Device (200 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
Disk Drive Generic CF Card CF USB Device
Disk Drive Generic MS/SD Combo MS USB Device
Disk Drive Generic SM/xD Combo SM USB Device
Optical Drive BK1533S ZKC359B SCSI CdRom Device
Optical Drive PIONEER DVD RW DVR-109 ATA Device (DVD+R9:6x, DVD-R9:6x, DVD+RW:16x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/6x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:40x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions
C: (NTFS) 186606 MB (16360 MB free)

Input
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse HID-compliant mouse
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network
Network Adapter Belkin 802.11g Wireless Card (192.168.1.100)
Network Adapter VIA Rhine III Compatible Fast Ethernet Adapter
Modem Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem

Peripherals
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Printer Send To OneNote 2007
USB1 Controller Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2658 [NoDB]
USB1 Controller Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2659 [NoDB]
USB1 Controller Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265A [NoDB]
USB1 Controller Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265B [NoDB]
USB2 Controller Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265C [NoDB]
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device
USB Device X10 USB Wireless Transceiver (ACPI-compliant)

Problems & Suggestions
Problem Disk free space is only 9% on drive C:.

Can you tell what I need with that mate?

Cheers

Don't see much on the MSI website about your motherboard, is this a Dell machine?

Could try the live driver upgrade.

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloadindex

Also I would not advise running vista on a Pentium 4, your pc will run like a donkey. Unless you have a duel core cpu I would have stuck with xp.

One more thing, I noticed this in your post, Problem Disk free space is only 9% on drive C:.

You should clean up as much as you can, windows uses this disk space for virtual memory so 9% free will give performance problems.

Oh yeah I know, I've just a few movies on the HD at the minute, I'll be deleting them later on today.

RE performance, if anything this is faster than XP. It starts up lightning fast compared to XP, and runs a lot smoother.

Its actually an Advent machine not a dell, I'll give that link a try. Cheers. Any more advice would be appreciated!

Doesnt allow me to do it for some reason mate? When I press run it just says 'error'.... Grrrr

Can you post a link for your actual machine, the print out does not say anything about the chipset and cant find your motherboard

I can see a lot of posts about sound problems with Vista, looks like its all down to if your sound device manufacturer has developed drivers for Vista. You should know the Microsoft way by now, Upgrade and replace the hardware that does not work :-D

I cant find much about your motherboard other than other folk having the same problem.

My usual answer to everything :-D

Boot from a Linux live cd like ubuntu, open a console window, type "lspci" and "lsmod"

Post the output, will tell me everything about your hardware.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.