Vista upgrade

I cant see how Vista can run better than XP on your hardware, Vista is pretty much XP with all the eye candy that OSX has had for a few years.

I think Vista might seem to run smoother now as most folk break XP before they actually start using it.

Most people install and remove things at the drop of a hat.

You take a fresh clean install of XP and its pretty fast and stable until freeware junk is installed where the programmers are paid to roll out software as quick as possible and don't really care about the code.

Give it a week or 2 and your Vista setup will also be broke.

Typical XP installation

Install XP.
Install a few applications.
Remove a few applications because they don't like them.
XP registry half screwed up already slowing down the machine.
Install XP service pack 2.
Install MSN icons.
Install some crappy freeware to rip audio from the divx they downloaded.
Remove some crappy freeware.
XP well and truly shafted by now.

Good point about XP. I bought a copy of XPLite and have removed tons of stuff I don't need and that Windows won't let you normally uninstall. I'm sure my PC runs better because of it.

Mind you, I do have the annoying habit of downloading and installing new software just to see what it's like. I try to 'clean up' after me but no doubt I leave a lot of rubbish behind. Then I use registry cleaners to tidy up but who knows how effective they are?

Sorry for hijacking this thread but when I try to run the Vista Upgrade adviser it won't complete and I get an error message. That's probably a good indicator that I shouldn't think about upgrading! But I am puzzled as to why it won't work.

helmutvandeshaft said:
I can see a lot of posts about sound problems with Vista, looks like its all down to if your sound device manufacturer has developed drivers for Vista. You should know the Microsoft way by now, Upgrade and replace the hardware that does not work :-D

I cant find much about your motherboard other than other folk having the same problem.

My usual answer to everything :-D

Boot from a Linux live cd like ubuntu, open a console window, type "lspci" and "lsmod"

Post the output, will tell me everything about your hardware.

You know what...I really want to try that ubuntu thing, as you know I've had help from you NUMEROUS times (cheers lol) and you always say about linux and I should at least give it a shot.

Is there somewhere I can download it to stick onto a disc and boot from to install? Is it pretty simple to install...?

Cheers.

P.S. does this tell you anything you need to know?

Operating System System Model
Windows Vista Home Premium (build 6000) DIXONSXP MS-7046
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7046
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2005
Drives Memory Modules c,d
195.67 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
25.87 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

PIONEER DVD RW DVR-109 ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Generic CF Card CF USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
Generic MS/SD Combo MS USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
Generic SM/xD Combo SM USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
ST3200822AS ATA Device [Hard drive] (200.05 GB) -- drive 0 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' is Empty
Slot 'A1' has 512 MB
Slot 'A2' is Empty
Slot 'A3' has 512 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 195.67 GB 25.87 GB free

Network Drives
None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
local user accounts last logon
Jonny 08/04/2007 13:05:58 (admin)
local system accounts
Administrator 02/11/2006 13:03:34 (admin)
Dotty never
Guest never
Jillian never

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:

Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
ATA Channel 0 [Controller] (2x)
ATA Channel 1 [Controller]
Intel(R) 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2651
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F RADEON X300/X550 Series [Display adapter]
RADEON X300/X550 Series Secondary [Display adapter]
WAN LCD MONITOR (14.9"vis, s/n 761, April 2003)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2658
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2659
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265A
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265B
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265C Creatix SAA7134, Hybrid Capture Device
High Definition Audio Device
Realtek High Definition Audio
Communications Other Devices
Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem

Belkin 802.11g Wireless Card
Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.100 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.1
Physical Address: 00:11:50:905:A1
isatap.{0A566127-E5FC-43FF-A819-D87C42AE018C}
isatap.{393B0BD0-6A85-410C-AE89-D78E1341C110}
Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
VIA Rhine III Compatible Fast Ethernet Adapter
Dhcp Server: none responded
Physical Address: 00:133:01:97:40

Networking Dns Servers: 194.168.4.100
VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
HID-compliant consumer control device (2x)
HID-compliant device (3x)
USB Human Interface Device (4x)
HID Keyboard Device
HID-compliant mouse (2x)
USB Composite Device
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub (5x)
X10 USB Wireless Transceiver (ACPI-compliant)
Generic volume shadow copy
CF Card CF
MS/SD Combo MS
SM/xD Combo SM
Virus Protection [Back to Top]
AVG 7.5.446 Version 7.5.446
Realtime File Scanning On

pec771 said:
Good point about XP. I bought a copy of XPLite and have removed tons of stuff I don't need and that Windows won't let you normally uninstall. I'm sure my PC runs better because of it.

Mind you, I do have the annoying habit of downloading and installing new software just to see what it's like. I try to 'clean up' after me but no doubt I leave a lot of rubbish behind. Then I use registry cleaners to tidy up but who knows how effective they are?

Sorry for hijacking this thread but when I try to run the Vista Upgrade adviser it won't complete and I get an error message. That's probably a good indicator that I shouldn't think about upgrading! But I am puzzled as to why it won't work.

Whats the error?

That didnt work unfortunately!

Just downloading Ubuntu now...silly question time.

Is there anything you CAN do on windows that you cant do using ubuntu? And vice-versa?

Can you still use all the popular software like dreamweaver MX, Flash MX, photoshop etc using ubuntu? lol cheers.!

helmutvandeshaft said:
Whats the error?
Er, I can't remember off hand as I just tried it once and thought better of it. Just something like 'unable to continue with/complete the task' and it abandoned the process halfway through. Didn't get to any options or input stage, if indeed there are any. Maybe I've deleted some stuff that Windows needs to execute the programme by deleting with XPLite?

As I'm not on the Internet at home I've got rid of loads. Internet Explorer/Telephony/Messaging/Media Player/ various Services/Outlook Express etc. Anything vaguely Internet related. Have reclaimed several gigs worth of disk space but maybe the Vista programme won't work because of that? Just a thought.

TINY said:
That didnt work unfortunately!

Just downloading Ubuntu now...silly question time.

Is there anything you CAN do on windows that you cant do using ubuntu? And vice-versa?

Can you still use all the popular software like dreamweaver MX, Flash MX, photoshop etc using ubuntu? lol cheers.!

Some of these apps you have to run in crossover, it create windows libs.

I know photoshop works as I use it, I think the dreamweaver stuff works but never used it.

I would try it on a spare partition for a month or so, don't just go and replace what you are used to in case you change you find.

I only used Ubuntu as an example as it has a live cd, its very handy for troubleshooting things, if you want to look at replacing windows I would look also at Open Suse, been around for a long time and works very well.

Also the latest release of Ubuntu will be out this month and has a lot of new features, like installing all the codecs you need instead of having to download them yourself, Ubuntu has a very simple desktop, kubuntu and open sude use kde, more windows like.

Screenshots of the upcoming kubuntu release

http://shots.linuxquestions.org/?linux_distribution_sm=Kubuntu 7.04 Beta

Got it sorted finally!

Went to the medion website and typed in my serial number, came up with a bunch of drivers, downloaded the sound one, installed and done. Thank fook for that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.