VPN/Proxy servers

There really is no way to know if a VPN company is a honeypot to be honest Silver, however let's work under the assumption that your worst fears are correct and that Nord VPN are handing over customer info to legal authorities. (Which I'm fairly sure they aren't)
Would the FBI start going round arresting or prosecuting internet pirates that are secured with a VPN? Because if they do people will know something is up with Nord VPN and they would lose that honeypot and therefore terrorists and peadophiles would know to stay clear of them. I also doubt that people who are seriously breaking the law would only be using a VPN; they would probably be either using a botnets or I2P
In short if you are using a VPN with no logs and out of a five eyes jurisdiction then I wouldn't worry mate :)

I agree that our use of non logging vpn,s may be trivial and not within the scope of those who are watching but the capabilities of US staffed RAF bases in UK such as RAF Menwith Hill in Harrogate should not be underestimated.

I agree that our use of non logging vpn,s may be trivial and not within the scope of those who are watching but the capabilities of US staffed RAF bases in UK such as RAF Menwith Hill in Harrogate should not be underestimated.

Absolutely mate, but there's not much I can do about that haha :D

The r7000 is a great choice. I've flashed mine many times with no problems.
Most bricks can be recovered with a serial-usb cable and a bit of patience.
Amazon it/es/de might be worth checking especially warehouse deals.

Thanks for the reply buddy. Would you be so kind as to supply a link to a step by step guide that you think would be ok for the R7000.

I have read a couple but as you have done it before it would be appreciated.

The r7000 is a great choice. I've flashed mine many times with no problems.
Most bricks can be recovered with a serial-usb cable and a bit of patience.
Amazon it/es/de might be worth checking especially warehouse deals.
Getting a cheap router and having a fanless pc as a pfense firewall is another option if you are looking to keep close to your original speed whilst not spending a lot :)

Thanks for the reply buddy. Would you be so kind as to supply a link to a step by step guide that you think would be ok for the R7000.

I have read a couple but as you have done it before it would be appreciated.
Download http://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv...16-r30880/netgear-r7000/factory-to-dd-wrt.chk
and goto the upgrade firmware page and flash. Don't do it over wifi.
Once it is flashed and rebooted the webui is 192.168.1.1 and you will need to fill out the details on the setup tab (there's lots more but you can ignore most of it).
I would make sure your vpn provider has a ddwrt setup guide first though.

Download http://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv...16-r30880/netgear-r7000/factory-to-dd-wrt.chk
and goto the upgrade firmware page and flash. Don't do it over wifi.
Once it is flashed and rebooted the webui is 192.168.1.1 and you will need to fill out the details on the setup tab (there's lots more but you can ignore most of it).
I would make sure your vpn provider has a ddwrt setup guide first though.

Thanks for that. You set me on my way. Will do a bit more research now. Not the end of the world if I mess it up but hopefully will be ok. Going to get the nighthawk tomorrow.

I'm thinking about buying the Netis WF-2881 for someone, £40 from Korea(gmarket - not sure about shipping costs) the specs are great for the price but only OpenWrt support for now which as I understand it is a bit less user friendly than DD-WRT but has more features, given it's popularity there should be tutorials for most VPNs.
  • 880Mhz Dual Core MediaTek Processor
  • 128MB RAM
  • 128MB FLASH
  • WAN: 10/100/1000Mbps (1 port)
  • LAN: 10/100/1000Mbps (4 ports)
  • WIFI: 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n (300Mbps) / 5GHz 802.11a/n/ac (867Mbps)
  • USB: 3.0 (1 port)
  • 4 external antennas.
That beats the specs on routers almost twice it's price, it should handle multiple devices on your VPN at once across your wifi. I can't exactly recommended it yet as I haven't bought it and set it up(then there's reliability and build quality which is why some prefer to pay more for a trusted known brand) but I thought I'd share it here as some of the routers can be pretty expensive or not up to the task of handling too many devices at once. Might be one to buy if you really want to save money and you're confident you could set it up after reading the guides or know a techie that could.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.