VPN/Proxy servers

Third post!

Anyway, I'm going to have a go later at getting emby onto my Firestick. I've already found a server to access for £30/6 months.

I'll go without a VPN first and I'll drop some feedback on here.

Obviously this is only really relevant to those who are willing to pay a minimum amount for a more stable experience.

For those who had success using a VPN in kodi then your onto a winner I guess, but I find it a bit gimmicky and prone to crashes etc.

I see iptv providers pushing these boxes to, so all those sold for nefarious purposes have been rendered useless? I mean are these updates forced etc? not got one of these boxes so no idea about their default settings you see.

Yep people were told this before they pushed the update.

Apparently, you can stop Now TV boxes from automatically applying the update if you haven't already received it. The trick is to get into the "Platform Secret Screen" using a button combination similar to the one that lets you enable developer mode in the first place. From the main homescreen, use the remote to punch in:

Home, Home, Home, Home, Home,
Fast Forward, Play, Rewind, Play, Fast Forward

You should end up on the Platform Secret Screen. From there, head into the "System Operations Menu" and "Disable network pings." Close out and everything on the Now TV box should continue to work as normal, it just won't check for platform updates anymore.

Just a heads up for everyone who used Plex on a now TV box; you can now use Plex on Kodi as long as your provider is using Plex pass

Third post!

Anyway, I'm going to have a go later at getting emby onto my Firestick. I've already found a server to access for £30/6 months.

I'll go without a VPN first and I'll drop some feedback on here.

Obviously this is only really relevant to those who are willing to pay a minimum amount for a more stable experience.

For those who had success using a VPN in kodi then your onto a winner I guess, but I find it a bit gimmicky and prone to crashes etc.
Isn't a firestick more prone to crashes, 2 of my mates had loads of problems with them with subs. They changed to 2g 16g boxes and all is well :)

No if you using a pc or tablet or phone you can download the nord app. Certain android boxes a vpn aint possible unless you get that, personally I wanted the whole house vpn wified.

I have Nord already and just use the app on each device when i want to.
I have a firestick for Kodi so it might be good to have the router configured to use Nord as you have. But i don't really need the VPN connection for most of my internet usage so i don't want it on for my entire connection to all devices all the time.
Does anyone know for certain if this mini router GL-AR300 could just be added as an extra device on my network and i could configure it for Nord vpn and connect the firestick to it - and leave my existing router running for the rest of the house with full speed internet.

I hae gone through most of the UK servers and done an internet speed test on them when connected. Some are reporting speeds of up to 30kbps. Not much to some, but this is almost twice what i get on a good day with no VPN running.

Is it possible i could get faster internet connections via a VPN?
Yes mate if your ISP is throttling your speed

I have Nord already and just use the app on each device when i want to.
I have a firestick for Kodi so it might be good to have the router configured to use Nord as you have. But i don't really need the VPN connection for most of my internet usage so i don't want it on for my entire connection to all devices all the time.
Does anyone know for certain if this mini router GL-AR300 could just be added as an extra device on my network and i could configure it for Nord vpn and connect the firestick to it - and leave my existing router running for the rest of the house with full speed internet.
You could just use a proxy on your firestick mate :)

Yep people were told this before they pushed the update.

Apparently, you can stop Now TV boxes from automatically applying the update if you haven't already received it. The trick is to get into the "Platform Secret Screen" using a button combination similar to the one that lets you enable developer mode in the first place. From the main homescreen, use the remote to punch in:

Home, Home, Home, Home, Home,
Fast Forward, Play, Rewind, Play, Fast Forward

You should end up on the Platform Secret Screen. From there, head into the "System Operations Menu" and "Disable network pings." Close out and everything on the Now TV box should continue to work as normal, it just won't check for platform updates anymore.

Doesn't work.

Sky have found a way around that as well.

Isn't a firestick more prone to crashes, 2 of my mates had loads of problems with them with subs. They changed to 2g 16g boxes and all is well :)

It can be yes. Anything android tends to be a bit patchy unless your running top spec and top OS.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.