VPN's

stonie

Been told if I use one then i can use skygo and play super6 app when I am in India in January, anybody ever used one? If so which one!!! and are the free ones any good? Cheers

Been told if I use one then i can use skygo and play super6 app when I am in India in January, anybody ever used one? If so which one!!! and are the free ones any good? Cheers
Well you may technically be able to make the connection but where in India will you be? Unless you are near decent wifi the service will be of no use to you.

There are a fair few decent ones, Nordvpn, PIA... Here is a link with a list of good ones. I note this list as all are friendly to p2p i think and have dedicated servers that are setup to handle streaming/vod stuff.

https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-anonymous-review-2017-170304/

If you have good upload speed from home you could even just setup a proxy at home and relay the data from your home connection for your needs.

I have used from USA and it was OK. Only issue was data speed.

Used NordVPN this year whilst abroad. Worked well in allowing me to see Sky, IPlayer etc. Quite cheap and easy to use.

Anyone using a VPN should test for DNS leaks if they are accessing things online that are let's say sensitive and frowned upon. Windows 10 users especially.

https://www.dnsleaktest.com/

This whole VPN thing needs a little clarity, and to some extent sanity. The purpose of a VPN is to provide end to end secured traffic encompassing the CIA triad, Confidentiality, Integrity & Availability. If you're aim it to access content restricted by region then what we're really talking is here is using a Proxy Server which will make the request for you and return the traffic back.

In terms of DNS leakage, mostly VPNs can be configured to which DNS server they use as Primary, or could even employ split tunnels where some traffic is sent down the tunnel and uses one DNS server for requests or alternatively other defined traffic just goes out 'raw' to the internet and uses public DNS.

The long & short of it is that whichever DNS server handles your request this will be just one in a chain until the IP is mapped to the domain name. So ultimately there may be multiple DNS servers taking a log of requests. So to think a website lookup request is somehow private or can be hidden is naive. Putting it into perspective Google process 4Bn search queries per day, Cisco's recent acquisition of OpenDns sees them handling 8Bn dns lookups per day - data which they fully make use of!

Another thing to consider if you're paranoid about web privacy or just concerned is that connecting to a random Proxy or 'VPN' is not the best way to ensure you're browsing is private. Just who 'owns' the Proxy\VPN and what they do with the data is impossible to know. Maybe GCHQ or Putin is behind the service, who knows.

Anyways, if you want a little privacy and if it's not already mentioned there is always the TOR Browser, and to some extent Google Chromium. Although some nutjobs out there are convinced that the NSA are behind the TOR project but like I said, who knows.....

A : Most VPN providers aren't ALL VPN providers.

B : It's not really paranoia wanting to hide your traffic it's genuinely beneficial and could prevent you having a lawsuit.

C : TOR was developed by the US naval intelligence it isn't a myth, TOR isn't suitable for using if you are accessing KODI or Terrarium or any other stand-alone media player.

As I said previously if you are running windows 10 and you want to make sure you're safe then run the dns leak test.

TOR is a router and not suitable for streaming over due to low speeds. It's perfectly safe for use for the privacy concerned and wasn't developed by US naval intelligence (and is open source either way).

If you want a VPN get NordVPN. There's few use cases where it isn't the best choice but none of them will generally apply to people who want simple VPN usage.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.