We’re Sh*t!!.... And They Know We Are

You can, and it's often said, but I don't think it's as convincing in those cases as it is about English clubs in the 90s and AT CERTAIN TIMES this century. We always hear that the PL is the most competitive league in the world and that any of six clubs can win it. Leicester are wheeled out as the ultimate proof of how competitive it actually is but no one tries to explain why the PL is now 25 years old and only six clubs have ever won it! Most seasons there have been two genuine contenders at most and in few years has there been a genuine "title race"! This is true at different times in different countries: there has been little genuine competition in Italy in the last eight years and France, the most open of all European leagues is totally dominated by PSG (yet to get beyond the last eight of the CL?). In Spain Madrid and Barcelona have always dominated but Valencia were a real force at the start of the century and Atletico have emerged recently and the success of these clubs and Sevilla in the UEFA cup (eight victories since 2004!) suggest a level superior to that of the PL, apart from the years between 2005-9. This of course can be seen as a result of Spain's massive investment in coaching this century.

This leaves the 90s and the years since 2012 as rather barren from the English point of view. In the 90s United's financial power was crushing apart from a couple of years when Blackburn rivalled them and a year when Arsenal invested in the team. United's fate was that of PSG - able to dominate domestically but lacking the competition to sharpen them up for Europe. With the single exception of 1999 their record in Europe was terribly poor for the richest club in the world. This was Neville's point. Lack of serious competition won't make it impossible for City to win the CL but it won't make it any easier.
Good post.

Bang on!
It really was noticeable yesterday with Neville's commentary that every infringement by us was noted and highlighted by him.
Each time he called them 'clever' or said 'City are good at that' or similar to continually perpetuate the idea that we have a
game plan and strategy of tactical fouling. He definitely went out of his way to constantly highlight and promote it.
There is a reason for that and it isn't to do with the commentary of the game...

Yes, the highlighting of any City foul was jarringly obvious. No way a neutral commentator would go out of their way like he did.

Another media agenda thread?

Neville is a tool but he was right to tear into both Arsenal and Chelsea. They were both completely abject. He was also correct to point out that the other premier league sides aren't testing us to the level you'd expect some of the European top sides to. That's not a slur on us, it's totally normal analysis from a pundit watching a team that is being tipped to go all of the way in Europe.

All of the respectable pundits and football writers have heaped all kinds of praise on us this season and yet some people still can't cope if Garth Crooks fails to put more than two of our players in his team of the week.

United and Arsenal have had the biggest kicking of any team since the season from the media, and long may it continue.

I do.

I firstly hear that his main point about us is, along with virtually all other media pundits, how brilliantly we have played this season.

I also can’t see how anyone watching us can’t deny not just that we are 100% committed to getting the ball back but that in doing so we sometimes do commit cute obstructions and fouls - Fern has done it for years and Ota is getting pretty good himself.

The best team in world sport - the All Blacks - have done the same for years. They’ve also been for the most part the exemplar of how to play top class high quality rugby and have the great knack of being able to exploit broken field play and punish the opposition with their skills.

I think it’s totally ok if what we are hearing is that we are being called out for having the same dominant characteristics of brilliance and as ruthlessness as the All Blacks.
Why is it I've suddenly got a vision of the team lined up around the centre circle before the match performing the Haka?

But non of tgese fiuls is mLicious or dangerous tgey are real attempts to tackle and win the ball back. Unlike some fouls I've seen this season.

No fucking pundit ever asked other teams to go toe to toe when the rags were dominating. Now we are dominating they don't want us to have a period of domination.

Can't say I've ever noticed him in favour of us either.
When he left us for Everton, he more or less said 'I'm joining a big club' as though we weren't. Ok, Everton were successful, but we were a sleeping giant at that point. After a tremendous first few years with us, I remember the fans growing tired of his continual left to right long diagonal ball.

But it is strange how so few ex City players are proper pundits leaving us having to watch the Manure and Liverpool pundit show when we watch BT and Sky.

Another media agenda thread?

Neville is a tool but he was right to tear into both Arsenal and Chelsea. They were both completely abject. He was also correct to point out that the other premier league sides aren't testing us to the level you'd expect some of the European top sides to. That's not a slur on us, it's totally normal analysis from a pundit watching a team that is being tipped to go all of the way in Europe.teams.
All of the respectable pundits and football writers have heaped all kinds of praise on us this season and yet some people still can't cope if Garth Crooks fails to put more than two of our players in his team of the week.

United and Arsenal have had the biggest kicking of any team since the season from the media, and long may it continue.
Watching PSG/RM tonight, about ten minutes after I'd said the same thing to my kids, Lineker came out with something re PSG not being used to playing decent teams. I think Neville was saying the same about us. In truth a good workout would probably do us good before a proper CL game. The only team capable of giving us a test is Liverpool, and to a lesser extent, Spurs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.