We’re Sh*t!!.... And They Know We Are

Dunne and Lampard do a decent job imho.
Lampard is a pundit as an ex Chelsea player rather than anything to do with his short but enjoyable time with us. Love Richard Dunne, but he's yet to say anything memorable. Punditry is a difficult thing to do, but what we have is a clique of mainly ex Manure and Liverpool players (probably the same agents) with limited vocabularies droning on and on about Ferguson's hair dryer treatment, Melwood and the boot room. Rooney "Erm, erm, erm, three points, erm, erm" will be the next one.

Our very own Joe is a future (hopefully many years in the future) pundit - articulate, intelligent, charismatic, mentally sharp with a good SoH. He won't sit on the fence and has the medal collection to back up what he says.

BUT WITH EVERY TROPHY WE WIN WE PISS THE LOT OF 'EM OFF A LITTLE BIT MORE. THEY'RE THE FOOTBALL EQUIVALENT OF ALL OUR YESTERDAYS.

Last edited:
Neville just can't accept the fact that his beloved Team are now underdogs to the mighty Blues and have no longer have any significance in this City.Obviously he has to praise us when he's co - commentating or doing live studio especially with the season we're having, but I'd love to hear What the lil woman is saying once the Cameras are off and he's been miked down

Lampard is a pundit as an ex Chelsea player rather than anything to do with his short but enjoyable time with us. Love Richard Dunne, but he's yet to say anything memorable. Punditry is a difficult thing to do, but what we have is a clique of mainly ex Manure and Liverpool players (probably the same agents) with limited vocabularies droning on and on about Ferguson's hair dryer treatment, Melwood and the boot room. Rooney "Erm, erm, erm, three points, erm, erm" will be the next one.

Our very own Joe is a future (hopefully many years in the future) pundit - articulate, intelligent, charismatic, mentally sharp with a good SoH. He won't sit on the fence and has the medal collection to back up what he says.

BUT WITH EVERY TROPHY WE WIN WE PISS THE LOT OF 'EM OFF A LITTLE BIT MORE. THEY'RE THE FOOTBALL EQUIVALENT OF ALL OUR YESTERDAYS.

The other week at Burnley, Gerrard criticized City for only putting up six subs, saying it was bad for the development of young players. Out of order from the youth coach of a club that is not only a sporting rival but a business rival too. Whatever his opinion, he should have kept his trap shut on that issue. The broadcaster should not allow the broadcast to be used as a soapbox for an interested party. The most visible people in and around English football display a general lack of professional standards that is completely out of keeping with the financial rewards they enjoy.

When City played PSG in the last 8 of the CL two years ago the coverage on BT Sport was a disgrace and City (and many non-City) fans were justifiably outraged by pundits keen to see a French triumph and eager to pander to the prejudices of fans of City's rivals. Gary Neville has never been this kind of pundit. He is not impartial and he makes no secret of his bias: he spent his entire career at the rags and he wants the rags to win. If, however, he isn't impartial he is objective and objectivity is the quality required above all others of a pundit. He is certainly not an uncritical admirer of City but his analyses are always serious and sincere, never malicious.

On Sunday he made certain comments which have upset a number of bluemooners:-

1. Some of us believe that he was jumping to Mourinho's side and saying that City are masters of the black arts of tactical fouling, which is an integral part of our game. This is an extreme way of stating matters. Neville was simply pointing out that City players read the game and are prepared to snuff out situations before they develop by a trip or body check. Neville actually said "I think this is good" and said that all great teams did it. We point out regularly that sides try to do this to us, and Neville showed a couple of clips of us in action. I think Fernandinho excels at it. It's cheating if that's how we wish to describe it - but Neville never says that.

2. Games such as Sunday's do not help City in the CL. Neville's point here is that uncompetitive leagues where one team is dominant don't prepare teams well for competition against the best teams in the CL. He argued that this had worked against other English teams, notably his own United, in the past. We can see this in other countries, notably France where PSG have little competition, very few, if any, matches where they have to dig deep and ten can't step up in the CL - as happened again last night. I'll point out that before we played them in 2016 our press tried to alarm us by reporting that PSG had warmed up for City with a superb 6 goal demolition of a Ligue 1 rival. What they did not report was that the rival was EA Guincamp - the team of a Breton town with a population now of just over 7000 (lower now than at any time since the 1860s). Hardly the preparation needed for a tough CL quarter final!

3. His other statement was a criticism of Chelsea, not City. He felt they were a disgrace because they never really tried to win. I disagree with him but I think he's right to believe it isn't healthy for English football when the reigning champions cannot manage a shot on target in 95 minutes against the side top of the league. He never suggested any of the rather eccentric conspiracy theories doing the rounds and he never entertained any of the nonsense Eamonn Dunphy has spouted, that City were a disgrace for trying to humiliate the defending champions by playing "keep ball" in the seccond half!

When City played PSG in the last 8 of the CL two years ago the coverage on BT Sport was a disgrace and City (and many non-City) fans were justifiably outraged by pundits keen to see a French triumph and eager to pander to the prejudices of fans of City's rivals. Gary Neville has never been this kind of pundit. He is not impartial and he makes no secret of his bias: he spent his entire career at the rags and he wants the rags to win. If, however, he isn't impartial he is objective and objectivity is the quality required above all others of a pundit. He is certainly not an uncritical admirer of City but his analyses are always serious and sincere, never malicious.

1. Some of us believe that he was jumping to Mourinho's side and saying that City are masters of the black arts of tactical fouling, which is an integral part of our game. This is an extreme way of stating matters. Neville was simply pointing out that City players read the game and are prepared to snuff out situations before they develop by a trip or body check. Neville actually said "I think this is good" and said that all great teams did it. We point out regularly that sides try to do this to us, and Neville showed a couple of clips of us in action. I think Fernandinho excels at it. It's cheating if that's how we wish to describe it - but Neville never says that.

2. Games such as Sunday's do not help City in the CL. Neville's point here is that uncompetitive leagues where one team is dominant don't prepare teams well for competition against the best teams in the CL. He argued that this had worked against other English teams, notably his own United, in the past. We can see this in other countries, notably France where PSG have little competition, very few, if any, matches where they have to dig deep and ten can't step up in the CL - as happened again last night. I'll point out that before we played them in 2016 our press tried to alarm us by reporting that PSG had warmed up for City with a superb 6 goal demolition of a Ligue 1 rival. What they did not report was that the rival was EA Guincamp - the team of a Breton town with a population now of just over 7000 (lower now than at any time since the 1860s). Hardly the preparation needed for a tough CL quarter final!

3. His other statement was a criticism of Chelsea, not City. He felt they were a disgrace because they never really tried to win. I disagree with him but I think he's right to believe it isn't healthy for English football when the reigning champions cannot manage a shot on target in 95 minutes against the side top of the league. He never suggested any of the rather eccentric conspiracy theories doing the rounds and he never entertained any of the nonsense Eamonn Dunphy has spouted, that City were a disgrace for trying to humiliate the defending champions by playing "keep ball" in the seccond half!

Then most of us on here heard a completely different commentary by Garry Neville than you did. He was disgrace - not Chelsea.

Good post.
Clearly there are very different interpretations of Neville’s comments.
FWIW I think your point of view is more objective.

I was listening to Radio Manc on the way in last night and they inserted a snip about he England Women. Phil Neville was not halfway through his first sentence before the words 'Manchester United' were uttered. I could hardly believe what I was hearing! They haven't got a women's team, but the turd will get a gratuitous mention whenever the opportunity arises. These people have more baggage than Manchester Airport could handle in a single day, and they are deliriously happy when they can broadcast it over the airwaves.

Care to expand?

When he was talking about the tackling. Before he went on about tactical fouls. He said that we had no room to talk
about the fouls committed against us, when we also committed fouls. To compare those fouls to the leg breakers and
assaults we've had against us, is a fucking joke.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.