We have one of the most negative fan bases in football

He should have sat in Maine Road during the second half of the 90s. We were a bunch of whingers then.

Forums massively warp perceptions. The original poster needs to take a break from here.
Yes, agree. I recall when I first started going (late 70's) I was told by my Uncle that the open corner of the Kippax joining the North Stand was called ''Critics Corner''!

The amount of negativity from our fans about City at the moment is absolutely staggering, and during a time where we're literally living the greatest era in the club's history.

I can think of only Arsenal at the moment where the fans talk about their own club with such distain. I rarely ever see or hear United fans talk about their club with the venom and malice which has developed amongst a large section of our support. I've never heard a United fan say a bad word about Mourinho since he joined.

You think all those negative media articles and news stories have no impact but they do. They create a mood of negativity, something which festers in the back of the mind. It means you'll be set alight more easily at the slightest mishap or mistake.

The club isn't perfect and it never will be. They make mistakes and they will make mistakes in the future as well. I find a lot of the problems I have about City are the results of my problems with elements of modern football. We're not alone with a lot of our concerns about prices, corporates, fan engagement etc.

Unfortunately it seems that some of us have become professional Manchester City critics rather than Manchester City supporters.

People can't wait to have a moan about the slightest thing, and it's sad. I even saw people on this forum yesterday saying we've had a shit transfer window yesterday after we've spent £200 million+ on several top class players. Some plonker on Twitter saying we've ruined Denayer's career because we made him sign a contract and then loaned him out. The only reason he's not better than Van Dyke right now apparently.

Comments like this after the CL draw "Forgive me for not jumping with glee at not being in a group of death, but I'm still not convinced Pep knows his best XI from game to game" - After we've played 2 matches with 1 change where the number 1 left back is out injured. How on earth that could be your instant reaction or thought to a CL draw is well beyond my way of thinking.

The way some of us speak about the manager, players and people behind the scenes is frightening. It's almost hatred and resentful at times. Every mistake by manager, player or club isn't an excuse to go straight for the throat

The bottom line is that if you're not happy now then you will never ever be happy.
Excellent post. Most forums now are overloaded with whinging and whining and very little positive and constructive discussion. The way some speak about the club is worse than the gutter press.

The amount of negativity from our fans about City at the moment is absolutely staggering, and during a time where we're literally living the greatest era in the club's history.

I can think of only Arsenal at the moment where the fans talk about their own club with such distain. I rarely ever see or hear United fans talk about their club with the venom and malice which has developed amongst a large section of our support. I've never heard a United fan say a bad word about Mourinho since he joined.

You think all those negative media articles and news stories have no impact but they do. They create a mood of negativity, something which festers in the back of the mind. It means you'll be set alight more easily at the slightest mishap or mistake.

The club isn't perfect and it never will be. They make mistakes and they will make mistakes in the future as well. I find a lot of the problems I have about City are the results of my problems with elements of modern football. We're not alone with a lot of our concerns about prices, corporates, fan engagement etc.

Unfortunately it seems that some of us have become professional Manchester City critics rather than Manchester City supporters.

People can't wait to have a moan about the slightest thing, and it's sad. I even saw people on this forum yesterday saying we've had a shit transfer window yesterday after we've spent £200 million+ on several top class players. Some plonker on Twitter saying we've ruined Denayer's career because we made him sign a contract and then loaned him out. The only reason he's not better than Van Dyke right now apparently.

Comments like this after the CL draw "Forgive me for not jumping with glee at not being in a group of death, but I'm still not convinced Pep knows his best XI from game to game" - After we've played 2 matches with 1 change where the number 1 left back is out injured. How on earth that could be your instant reaction or thought to a CL draw is well beyond my way of thinking.

The way some of us speak about the manager, players and people behind the scenes is frightening. It's almost hatred and resentful at times. Every mistake by manager, player or club isn't an excuse to go straight for the throat

The bottom line is that if you're not happy now then you will never ever be happy.

We have won so much recently yet they still are not content and still moan. We could win the prem this year and they will moan we are not winning it next, then the CL, then moan that we are not playing attractive football whilst we are winning things.... They will always fkin moan until something breaks, it is the way of negative people.

We need a new team at City, we put all the drift wood players into it and the moaners can go and watch that to be happy

We don't hype our players enough, I know the dippers can be over the top: "Arr laa ee's best in da world la" the thing is they do it so much that their players start to believe it too. I'd rather have(and I'm sure the players would too) that than have to ignore all the "he's not good enough sell him" attitudes against some of our players that most team's fanbases would be absolutely buzzin' about(rags and dippers included).

There's no chance of any of our players getting carried away with a good run of form with such large sections of our support there to dampen anyone's enthusiasm all the time.

Last edited:

Your view... IMO is far too simplistic.

For the record, I'm very happy with our performances thus far and think we'll win the league.

But...

Pep's style of football - ball retention, counter-press, play-it-from-the-back, even when dangerous - is foreign to many of our long-time fans. I can see why many fans are very upset by our start especially those who really liked Joe Hart.

As for CL draw/transfer window complaints - perhaps some think this way -but really - to characterize the average City fan of holding these sentiments is ridiculous.

Our transfer window has been fucking fantastic - wish we could have gotten Alves - other than that, far better than I expected; addressing huge problems at full back, while unexpectedly adding B. Silva.

And we might still land Sanchez - which makes things even better.
========
So...

Are you confusing random Internet posts with posts from City fans? It seems to me that you are.

We have the best manager in World Football - we have an extremely wealthy owner, willing to spend big - and we have a management team that is 100% behind our manager.

We play exciting, attacking football in the most competitive league in the world.

Most City fans are absolutely ecstatic - I certainly am.

Meanwhile, anyone at all is free to post in the Internet.

Last edited:
In my lifetime (cup final against Spurs aside) York away was the all time low point from me. Since then we've had some good times, bad times and bloody brilliant times. Since the take over, the ambition of the new owners is for City to become a big player on the world stage. That isn't going to be easy considering the level of tinkering (or corruption as I like to call it) from the football authorities. The club have made some big changes in the last 20 years, not least moving from Maine Road, and some fans don't like change.

Despite all this change off the field, what remains is the beating heart of a football team who pull on their blue shirt and cross that white line to play for our club. Anyone who doesn't get this might as well toddle off with their collection of half and half scarves and find something else to do on a Saturday.

I didn't really know where to post this, but its a definite positive for our club, so I've put it in here.

Someone pointed out that we seem to have become one of only a handful of clubs who don't sell their best players. Along with Bayern, PSG and Real Madrid we seem to be recognised as a club who won't and dont entertain the sale of their stellar players, hence teams dont even bother, due to our new found power and standing in world football.

I think it speaks volumes about our club and those that run it that since the takeover we haven't sold any top players to Premier League Rivals or supposed bigger clubs having been bullied into submission.

Barcelona had one of their prize assets swiped from under their noses and the vermim have wilted to Real Madrid's advances in the past, with the Llama faced alleged shoplifter within a smidgin of going, but for the fax machine being on the blink.

We are baby steps away from becoming the most powerful club in football and that's the simple reason why we have become loathed by the opposition and media. The Holy Grail that is the Champions League is the only obstacle that we must overcome to put us right at the top of the footballing tree. Once it's in the trophy cabinet the rise of the CFG will be astronomical.

We're all a bit fickle... In the south stand there's plenty of whinging when the performance isn't up to scratch but the atmosphere changes in an instant when we score. Kolarov used to come in for plenty of stick, I felt sorry for Bravo in the end last season. I dont think we're any worse than most other fans... Everyone should be allowed their opinion negative or positive and I don't personally buy into this idea that we have to tow some party line and be positive 24/7.

One thing that drives me mad about our fans is how we always hear people saying 'I wish we had a great atmosphere', 'That other teams fans were brilliant', etc.

Then the same fans sit on their hands and stay quiet in case Danny, from Benchill, sat three rows behind, thinks you're a bit of a nutter.

YOU'RE AT A F*CK*NG FOOTBALL GAME YOU F*CK*NG TURNIP! GO MAD AND MAKE A TIT OF YOURSELF LIKE GOD F*CK*NG INTENDED!!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.