Were we ever really that good?

bluemoon05

I think the reason so many people are so unhappy with how results have gone this season is that they're comparing it to Sven's start to last season but to be honest, I don't think the team's much better or worse. We were never that good, we were just getting lucky then and now we're getting quite unlucky.

Look at our home wins from the start of last season...

Aston Villa 1-0 - could have gone either way
United 1-0 - Very fortunate to win
Sunderland 1-0 - Played crap got a pretty lucky win
Reading 1-0 - See Sunderland

Compared to some of this year's results

Liverpool 2-3- Some very lucky goals for Liverpool in a game we deserved to win
Wigan 1-2 - Bad decision won them the game
Middlesborough 0-2 - Bad decision won them the game
Everton 0-1 - Cpuld have gone either way.

Now we're down on our confidence and playing badly but only really as badly a the end of last year.

And you have to be realistic, we can't sack Hughes because we can't have a carteaker manager during January.
The team Hughes inherited was never that good and I hate to say it but we're going to have to stick with him unless we can find a class manager willin to take over.

Some stunning re-writing of history there.

OK, Svens results were all lucky, and Hughes results have all been unlucky.

Well I'll take the lucky manager then.

RobbieBrewer said:
Better ask Brain Horton whether he'd rather have Windass,King or Robinho.Or Hodgson wheteher he'd rather have the likes of Zat Knight or Richards,Dunne or Zabletta.

Our so-called "manager" is the problem.

He's alienated the likes of Elano through prentending to be ferguson.He's played Richards at LB,Fernades at Rb,and SWP at centre-mid.He's a clueless imposter used to managing tools like savage.Totally and utterly out of his depth.

Two games left.

and darius vassell as a footballer

Home team

Hart
Zableta Dunne/Richards ? ?

SWP Kompany ? Petrov/Ireland?

Robinho/?

Cruz/?

Subs
Dunne/Richards(depends if he pulls his finger out)
Sturridge
?
?
?
?
GK?

When Away Team

Hart

Zab Dun/Rich ? ?
Kompany
SWP Ireland ? ?

Cruz

Subs
Sturridge
Robinho
Dunn/Rich
?
?
?
GK

last season we were MILES better than we are now.

even the pompy game wasnt as good as some games last season under sven

good sensible post in principle (don't need the examples though as they are arguable).

I'd accept the point that the squad is/was pretty poor (though should have 6/8 more points than we have in my opinion).

Best players this year are new (SWP, Kompany, Zab and Robinho (sometimes)) or in irelands case rejuvinated players which doesn't say much for last years squad.
Anyone who attended all last seasons home games must have left plenty of them from mid Oct to pre Xmas laughing and smiling but wondering how we'd done it (don't you remember).

I am as stated surprised how few points we've got this season and how many mistakes have been made by Dunne, Richards and Hart and how average/poor in general they have been but overall I'd accept the point - we've never been all that good

forevercity said:
last season we were MILES better than we are now.

even the pompy game wasnt as good as some games last season under sven

Being fair the pompey game was a lot better than ANY game under sven last year in terms of the quality of football that was produced it's a shame things have gone completely pear shaped since and we know don't know how to play a short passing game

moomba said:
Some stunning re-writing of history there.

OK, Svens results were all lucky, and Hughes results have all been unlucky.

Well I'll take the lucky manager then.

100% right - the 'lucky' manager left us at 9th in the Premiership. Hughes is about to take us into the Premiership ! Many say that can't happen but keep watching the results - we keep loosing and we get relegated - doesn't matter how 'good' or 'rich' we are supposed to be

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.