West Brom offer to trial safe standing - rejected page 2

If I am correct, Fulham achieved back to back promotions under Keegan and the PL would not allow them to play at Craven Cottage with terraces and they spent 2 or 3 years at Loftus Road until seats were in place. maybe wrong if anyone can recall.
You are correct in the Lib Dems having safe standing in their manifesto, not just 2015 but the election when they ended up in the coalition with the Tories too.
Close.
According to Wiki they came up with us in 1999 but spent 2 seasons at the second level and went up to the Prem in 2001. They could only have a third season (above the third level) with terraces so played at Loftus Road in 02-03 and 03-04 before returning to the Cottage.

Standing behind standard seating must cause countless injuries every time your team scores. I must have broke a couple of ribs at Wembley this season ending up on my back about three rows infront when we scored the second v Arsenal. Also the semi final v Utd the same. Countless bruised and cut shins etc. The thing is, on the old Kippax I never got injured once.

There isn't the facilities at most grounds to accommodate extra people, even at CoMS on the lower tier it is too busy in the concourse due to 3 rows of additional seats at the front.

imagine being in the away end at west brom with 50% more people there, or Bolton, Hull, Charlton, Blackburn, Wigan, M United, Liverpool, Everton, Villa etc Maybr Arsenal could cope with an increase, but most grounds are no up to it.

If introduced the numbers would not be upped, and less fans would stand according to WBA proposals.
Nonsense. Old Trafford used to have 55 000 standing every other week.
The rail seating is specifically designed to make it safe. If 4500 can turn up at port vale and stand safely this weekend if they choose why doesn't every football fan.

Are 6000 people killed and injured at Dortmund every home game.? Why is it not being reported ?
Major incidents in England have all been caused by a poor policing and risk assessment. And in Bradford case now adays they wouldn't be issued a safety certificate. Also fans can easily spill onto pitches if need be in emergency. We don't have 8 foot fences.

After the horrific aria grande concert incident have the government stopped all concerts and shows across Britain for the next 20years ?
A poster said ages ago it's safe to stand on a train travelling 100mph to London apparently.

Change is always caused by action. The ripples are starting. Clubs are just starting to look at the demographic of their fan base. In ten years time when all the 50 + brigade have moved on or gave it up who takes their place ?

There isn't the facilities at most grounds to accommodate extra people, even at CoMS on the lower tier it is too busy in the concourse due to 3 rows of additional seats at the front.
The Football Licensing Authority regularly told me that unless more toilets and catering areas were built in then you can't just add thousands if more people into the stadium.
I replied "Never seems to be a problem when there is a concert at City and over 60,000 people are inside a 48,000 seated stadium."
It is all bullshit. I'd have more respect if they just came out and said "you are all scum and we don't trust you to stand and behave".

Matthew Hancock, minister for media, sport and culture however the woman in the article is the undersecretry for the sport remit of the department as minister of sport was dropped to minor misterial post with Hancock in charge of the department but Crouch will make the sporting choices like this.
So someone else has shown that I was not wrong (4 posts up), so go on, what else did I get wrong?

Try reading the legislation it states whose decision it certainly isn't the junior minister. Where does it say that the SoS has the power to remove these orders?

Once made they stay on the ground even if the club goes down to non-league.

Try reading the legislation it states whose decision it certainly isn't the junior minister. Where does it say that the SoS has the power to remove these orders?

Once made they stay on the ground even if the club goes down to non-league.
The article I linked from the BBC on the previous page.
Would the law need to change?
Jon Darch, from campaign group Safe Standing Roadshow

The law does not have to change for safe standing to be introduced at grounds in the Premier League and Championship. The way in which the secretary of state exercises the power given to him/her by the act has to change. They can decide on their own merits if they want to allow it and what restrictions they want to impose. Since 1994, the secretary of state has chosen to exercise their power by forcing stadiums of clubs in the top two divisions to go all-seater.

It is Definately Tracy Crouch blocking this,
A vocal minority as she calls it says are calling for it, head in the sand or up her arse? I cannot decide

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.