West Ham - post match thread

I don't think it is that so much as the fact that we have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory so many times over the years that it is an ingrained part of being a City fan for those of us in our second half century! "Typical City" is not something that was made up for nothing.

At half time, I said to my brother that we were doing what we always seem to do....boss the game, get a goal or two, but miss untold chances to put the game away. I also told him, if they get a goal (most likely corner or dead ball, because they were a big team playing a small team!) it will turn into squeaky bum time, because the fans will get restless and there will be a push push push for a third, which might leave us exposed.

It is these repeated experiences that have "tainted" some of us from that 100% blind belief that everything will turn out fine.

That said, we played some lovely stuff and it really did feel like we were about to score for long periods of the game. The problem is, and always has been, that if we do NOT get the goal, it is "Typical City" to let one in and it would have all been for nought.

Clearly, there is an energy and mentality to Pep that he insists upon in his players. Nolito, a strange buy at first blush, typifies it: he never stops working, even though he is a forward! What this team MIGHT BE (once everyone is fit and healthy) is scary to behold. To think that Kompany, Sane, Gundogan and maybe even a fit Nasri could be added to this current team has to strike fear into any and all opposition.

My biggest concerns are:

1) Pep will not rotate as needed for the loooong season, (IMHO, Silva and KDB could do with a rest already given the summer, preseason, and start they have had) and we will have a spate of fatigue muscle injuries (Hammies and calves) in the new year, and

2) We are too small. I would like to see a little more height in the team, especially going forward. Kolarov appears to have grown 3 inches in the summer, as I've never seen him win so many balls in the air, but beyond our CH's, I don't see enough height in the team. Fernandinho can jump, but is not a big lad, but our full backs are short, our midfield is short and our forward line is tiny. I know it is not Pep's game to just knock Expactations a ball into the mix and have lads fight for it, but it needs to be a viable option late in games, where getting the ball wide and knocking it in leads to goals almost every week.

3) Expectations for this season have risen exponentially due to flashes of brilliance we have seen thus far. I hope we are in the mix for everything this season, and think we could well have the ability to win trophies. However, it appears that EVERYONE thinks Pep is only here to win the CL, and that anything less is a disaster. I would suggest that is nonsense, and his job is really a 2-3 year revolution to produce a CLUB where the mentality is as stated above, and that ethos permeates all levels of the club, with younger players coming through and the First Team Squad adding only 1 or 2 players every year to refresh, reinvigorate and improve.

I hope we are all ready for the ride of our lives, but I also hope we won't be too disappointed if we don't win every match, lose to a bad team once in a while, or don't win every trophy. It feels like after this start and these kinds of performances, even the pundits are expecting us to win it all! That is just not "Typical City".......yet!

I think you worry too much, about things beyond your control ;-)

Why not wait and see what Pep does rather than see a negative, before anything that might or might not happen.

Just how short is your memory ? when MP put him between the sticks for the league cup final half our supporters thought about putting a few quid on puddle to win.
Caballero is not a good keeper, below the standard of every other keeper in the premier imho, the fact he is willing to play how pep wants him to suit the system will not change that or make up for the lack of talent when it matters.

Yes every keeper can make a balls up of them now and again, but willie has never shown anything but blind panic on high crosses into the area.
We must watch different games. When I get home I'll splice a video of Willie's Nabs of crosses. And I'll like your opinion on whether you see panic in all of them.

Willie is a good goalie. Not as good of a shot stopper as Joe, but i'd hardly rate Joe's decisions on crosses any better.

They are both average when it comes to that. And I doubt it's cause for whinning. Seeing as the 'suppssed' better keeper is equally average at it.

I think you worry too much, about things beyond your control ;-)

Why not wait and see what Pep does rather than see a negative, before anything that might or might not happen.
As a pilot, and a City fan for over 40 years, you're probably right!

Sit back, relax and think of....Pep???! ;-)

Just how short is your memory ? when MP put him between the sticks for the league cup final half our supporters thought about putting a few quid on puddle to win.
Caballero is not a good keeper, below the standard of every other keeper in the premier imho, the fact he is willing to play how pep wants him to suit the system will not change that or make up for the lack of talent when it matters.

Yes every keeper can make a balls up of them now and again, but willie has never shown anything but blind panic on high crosses into the area.
Further proof of why fan opinion of player ability generally amounts to fuck all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.