West Ham - post match thread

All day every day, and twice on Sunday!

Nice location, btw!!!

You are clearly a man after my own heart!!
I might well be. I wonder if you used to go to a grammar school as named in a Stephen King book? You might have followed that up by going to another one that had Cutts and Abbott in common? Apologies if you've no idea what I'm going on about but I have had a couple of bottles of rather lovely Beaune!!

My biggest concerns are:

1) Pep will not rotate as needed for the loooong season, (IMHO, Silva and KDB could do with a rest already given the summer, preseason, and start they have had) and we will have a spate of fatigue muscle injuries (Hammies and calves) in the new year, and

Pep will rotate plenty! His team selection has been very consistent for the three league games but I am sure that is just a case of early days; he made major rotations for Steaua.

2) We are too small. I would like to see a little more height in the team, especially going forward. Kolarov appears to have grown 3 inches in the summer, as I've never seen him win so many balls in the air, but beyond our CH's, I don't see enough height in the team. Fernandinho can jump, but is not a big lad, but our full backs are short, our midfield is short and our forward line is tiny. I know it is not Pep's game to just knock Expactations a ball into the mix and have lads fight for it, but it needs to be a viable option late in games, where getting the ball wide and knocking it in leads to goals almost every week.

We are a small side these days and it will work against us upon occasion but Sagna is good in the air and Clichy is hardly small when it comes to full backs. If the team plays how Pep wants, lack of height should not be a significant should we fail to win the league.

3) Expectations for this season have risen exponentially due to flashes of brilliance we have seen thus far. I hope we are in the mix for everything this season, and think we could well have the ability to win trophies. However, it appears that EVERYONE thinks Pep is only here to win the CL, and that anything less is a disaster. I would suggest that is nonsense, and his job is really a 2-3 year revolution to produce a CLUB where the mentality is as stated above, and that ethos permeates all levels of the club, with younger players coming through and the First Team Squad adding only 1 or 2 players every year to refresh, reinvigorate and improve.

I have seen or heard anyone who thinks Pep is only here to win the UCL and I am damn sure Pep does not view things like that. His priority in his first season, set by himself, was to win the league and I would think he is taking exactly the same approach here. But, Pep will prepare to win every game and push his players to do just that; of course he won't win every game and, even if he is the best manager on the planet, is unlikely to win the quadruple in his time at City because of the nature of cup competition.

Been watching City since 1957 and in my opinion it's the best 45 minutes of football I have seen ( not the most important)

Sat in Piccadilly station waiting for Edinburgh train hence my in flux of posts on various topics
I'm sure there must have been better - but since we went all seater that's the first time I've stood up to applaud a passage of play where we didn't score!

I might well be. I wonder if you used to go to a grammar school as named in a Stephen King book? You might have followed that up by going to another one that had Cutts and Abbott in common? Apologies if you've no idea what I'm going on about but I have had a couple of bottles of rather lovely Beaune!!
You have me at a disadvantage, sir. I am indeed a(n) victim alumnus of those schools. Ah, the good old days!!!

Pep will rotate plenty! His team selection has been very consistent for the three league games but I am sure that is just a case of early days; he made major rotations for Steaua.

Doubt we will enter too many 180 minute games up by 5 goals at half time. The problem will be more like Chelsea and Barca in the same week.

We are a small side these days and it will work against us upon occasion but Sagna is good in the air and Clichy is hardly small when it comes to full backs. If the team plays how Pep wants, lack of height should not be a significant should we fail to win the league.

Agree with Sagna, but Clichy gets bossed at the back post quite often and Zaba doesn't have the best record of defending against headers! Looking at the two youngsters on the bubble for those positions (Maffeo and Angelino) are about 5' 7" at most!!! I worry about it mainly in games we have not put away by half time...or at least the usual squeaky bum last 10 minutes! I wonder how many pens we will give away this season if the refs DO clamp down on the holding? Kolarov should have been pulled up against WHU!!!

I have seen or heard anyone who thinks Pep is only here to win the UCL and I am damn sure Pep does not view things like that. His priority in his first season, set by himself, was to win the league and I would think he is taking exactly the same approach here. But, Pep will prepare to win every game and push his players to do just that; of course he won't win every game and, even if he is the best manager on the planet, is unlikely to win the quadruple in his time at City because of the nature of cup competition.

Certainly not "only" reason he is here, but anyone who thinks this entire project is NOT about being CL Champions is delusional. As at Bayern, whether we win the CL will be the measure of his ultimate success at City. Yes, winning the Prem, the FA Cup, and even the EFL Cup are silverware, and the Premier League Champions is something that is the 38 game challenge. However, if you asked Mansour and Khaldoon, I believe in their hearts the next three years is ALL about playing 13 CL games and winning the last one in at least one of those seasons!

See bold italics above.

See bold italics above.

Let's see what squad we end up with but I expect him to rotate more as the season progresses. However, I think he will want to get his system bedded in with a core of players and use that as a base to rortate around. Also, Pep believes you can lose the league in the first eight games so l think he will take less risks with team selection in this period. Be interesting to see how he approaches the League Cup.

We saw Clichy bossed in this game but I think he is mostly OK and at least he is not a midget gem like the kids. Kolarov, despite that shirt pulling, is highlighting how good he can be in the air. Whatever the circumstances, I am always worried unless we are three goals up.

I am quite sure the club is ultra keen to win the UCL and so am I as a supporter but it is ultimately a cup competition and one moment of ill fortune can kill you. I really could be wrong but I have a vague recollection KAM has acknowledged that in one of his interviews; regardless, he and everyone else at the club knows that. You will have to consider me delusional but I do not believe that the entire project is about winning the UCL; I do believe it is about creating the best football club in the world, so winning the UCL and then the World Club Championship are an essential part of the mix and Pep will be under pressure to deliver that but who would have it any other way?

Very poor 2nd half from the blues, could have easily lost that game. Lots of chances created but very few trouble Adrian in the WHU net. Need to get a better shot % on target. The % ratio against WHU was less than 20% which is poor, by a team of the players we had playing on Sunday. \If we play like we did in the 2nd half against the rags we will get a hammered.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.