What book are you reading now / or recommend?

Can anyone recommend any cold war thrillers? Watched Deutschland 83 and loved it. Read a Le Carre and now currently reading Stasi Child by David Young

Can anyone recommend any cold war thrillers? Watched Deutschland 83 and loved it. Read a Le Carre and now currently reading Stasi Child by David Young
It's not cold war, but I would recommend Alone in Berlin. Story of a family in Berlin trying to spread anti-Nazi propaganda during the height of Hitler's power - brilliant read. Currently reading the Night Manager (haven't seen the TV series) and can confirm that it also very good.

I would recommend the author Donna Tartt to anyone here. Her 2 books The Secret History and the Goldfinch are 2 of the best books I have ever read, especially the Secret History. Secret History is about a boy who attends a university where the other students are from a much higher social standing than him and his attempt to be accepted by them. Goldfinch is about a boy who's mother dies in a bomb attack in New York and ends up stealing an invaluable piece of artwork and where his life goes as a parentless child and a criminal using art.

Nearly finished The Big Midweek: Life Inside the Fall.
Never really been into The Fall but an excellent book spanning their career, tours, bust ups etc.. Mark E Smith can be a bit of a bastard but that is what probably kept the band going for so long. Lots of cross references to othe Manchester bands. Would definitely recommend.

Any fans of the Witcher video games might enjoy the books that the game was based on. They're written by Andrzej Sapkowski, fairly inoffensive and contain dry humour in places. They aren't REALLY in a set order (I have the first three, and some later editions haven't yet been translated from Polish) but it sheds a bit of extra light on the games too.

I would recommend the author Donna Tartt to anyone here. Her 2 books The Secret History and the Goldfinch are 2 of the best books I have ever read, especially the Secret History. Secret History is about a boy who attends a university where the other students are from a much higher social standing than him and his attempt to be accepted by them. Goldfinch is about a boy who's mother dies in a bomb attack in New York and ends up stealing an invaluable piece of artwork and where his life goes as a parentless child and a criminal using art.
Loved the Goldfinch. Very Dickens I thought.

There's a follow up on the way from David Young, Stasi Wolf I think.

Also, if you haven't yet seen it, watch The Lives of Others, a seriously good film set in 1980s East Germany. I thought the subtitles would put me off as it's a German film, but really didn't spoil my enjoyment. One of my fave films of all time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.