What book are you reading now / or recommend?

Have just finished the Forever War trilogy, first book utterly superb, second book was good up until the ending which felt forced, Forever Peace I thought was disappointing tbh. Have started the Man in the High Tower.

Have just finished the Forever War trilogy, first book utterly superb, second book was good up until the ending which felt forced, Forever Peace I thought was disappointing tbh. Have started the Man in the High Tower.
When do you get time to read? You seem to be on here all day!

When do you get time to read? You seem to be on here all day!
Insomniac bud, only sleep 2-3 hours a night and I'm a quick reader. I'm not on here all day either, I pop on every now and then during work and then usually go on the site for a bit longer when they're watching shite on TV :)

Loved the first one, didn't bother with the sequels partly because of the reviews, but mainly because I thought it had gone as far as it could.
Currently reading the 4th Felix Castor novel, Thicker Than Water. Enjoying it so far.

Loved the first one, didn't bother with the sequels partly because of the reviews, but mainly because I thought it had gone as far as it could.
Currently reading the 4th Felix Castor novel, Thicker Than Water. Enjoying it so far.
Will start those ones in a while I reckon, fuck all left to read on the fantasy side and I'm not in the mood for non fiction.

Will start those ones in a while I reckon, fuck all left to read on the fantasy side and I'm not in the mood for non fiction.

How about a bit of space opera? Have you read the Deathstalker books by Simon R Green? It's nothing original and it plagiarises just about every fantasy and sci-fi book you can think of. It's completely trashy and absolutely fucking brilliant. None stop action from start to finish, with larger than life characters and some complete horrible bastards who are still immensely likeable. Very funny too, I loved them. He got a bit carried away with how many he wrote, and you'll probably get fed up of his gruesome, none stop action style after a few books, but they are great fun. Don't expect great writing and original plots, but it's a great read.
He also did a load fantasy fiction. My favourite is Blue Moon Rising. It starts off with a Prince going off to rescue a Princess from the clutches of an evil dragon and it's funny as fuck, as well as pretty gruesome.

The blurb for Deathstalker.

"Owen Deathstalker, last of the infamous warrior Clan, always considered himself more of a writer than a fighter, preferring his history books to making any actual history with a sword. But books won’t protect him from Her Imperial Majesty Lionstone XIV, who just Outlawed and condemned Owen to death, without any explanation, reason, or warning. No wonder she’s called the Iron woman. Now, on the run from Imperial starcruisers, shady mercenaries, and just about everyone else in the Empire, Owen’s options are limited. Though the name Deathstalker still commands respect in certain quarters, out on the Rim, Owen is lucky he can cobble together a makeshift team of castoffs, including an ex-pirate, a cyborg, and a bounty hunter. But allies won’t be enough to save him. If he’s to live, Owen can either run forever…or take down the corrupt Empire. To do that, he’ll need the fabled Darkvoid Device—an artifact dating back to the first Deathstalker and perhaps the only weapon powerful enough to help this ragtag rebellion win. The time has come for Owen to finally embrace his Deathstalker heritage…and all the blood and death that go along with it. Deathstalker is the first book in New York Times bestselling author Simon R. Green’s beloved space opera series."

How about a bit of space opera? Have you read the Deathstalker books by Simon R Green? It's nothing original and it plagiarises just about every fantasy and sci-fi book you can think of. It's completely trashy and absolutely fucking brilliant. None stop action from start to finish, with larger than life characters and some complete horrible bastards who are still immensely likeable. Very funny too, I loved them. He got a bit carried away with how many he wrote, and you'll probably get fed up of his gruesome, none stop action style after a few books, but they are great fun. Don't expect great writing and original plots, but it's a great read.
He also did a load fantasy fiction. My favourite is Blue Moon Rising. It starts off with a Prince going off to rescue a Princess from the clutches of an evil dragon and it's funny as fuck, as well as pretty gruesome.

The blurb for Deathstalker.

"Owen Deathstalker, last of the infamous warrior Clan, always considered himself more of a writer than a fighter, preferring his history books to making any actual history with a sword. But books won’t protect him from Her Imperial Majesty Lionstone XIV, who just Outlawed and condemned Owen to death, without any explanation, reason, or warning. No wonder she’s called the Iron woman. Now, on the run from Imperial starcruisers, shady mercenaries, and just about everyone else in the Empire, Owen’s options are limited. Though the name Deathstalker still commands respect in certain quarters, out on the Rim, Owen is lucky he can cobble together a makeshift team of castoffs, including an ex-pirate, a cyborg, and a bounty hunter. But allies won’t be enough to save him. If he’s to live, Owen can either run forever…or take down the corrupt Empire. To do that, he’ll need the fabled Darkvoid Device—an artifact dating back to the first Deathstalker and perhaps the only weapon powerful enough to help this ragtag rebellion win. The time has come for Owen to finally embrace his Deathstalker heritage…and all the blood and death that go along with it. Deathstalker is the first book in New York Times bestselling author Simon R. Green’s beloved space opera series."
Ha no thanks :D Reminds me a bit of the Dresden files and I got very sick of those towards the end, thinking about doing a rerun of Pratchett or the Malazan books at some point soon as well so that'll be all the big sagas I need. :)

Ha no thanks :D Reminds me a bit of the Dresden files and I got very sick of those towards the end, thinking about doing a rerun of Pratchett or the Malazan books at some point soon as well so that'll be all the big sagas I need. :)

Nothing like the Dresden files and honestly it's well worth a read. Blue Moon Rising is particularly brilliant and as dark as it is funny. It's like Stephen King wrote it, but was occasionally possessed by the ghost of Terry Pratchett.

Nothing like the Dresden files and honestly it's well worth a read. Blue Moon Rising is particularly brilliant and as dark as it is funny. It's like Stephen King wrote it, but was occasionally possessed by the ghost of Terry Pratchett.
Ah, maybe I'll look at it. Been doing a rerun of one of the big series every year for the last few years just for nostalgia, did all of Raymond E Feist's Midkemia books in 14, Robin Hodd's first 4 trilogies and the first two books of the fifth in 15 and redid the Wheel of Time books in 16 so kind of have my heart set on doing one of the two I mentioned at some point this year as well as the Red Mars trilogy (want to read this again after Forever War).

Ah, maybe I'll look at it. Been doing a rerun of one of the big series every year for the last few years just for nostalgia, did all of Raymond E Feist's Midkemia books in 14, Robin Hodd's first 4 trilogies and the first two books of the fifth in 15 and redid the Wheel of Time books in 16 so kind of have my heart set on doing one of the two I mentioned at some point this year as well as the Red Mars trilogy (want to read this again after Forever War).

Seriously mate, if you like fantasy, you will love Blue Moon Rising. It's funny, it's dark and it's pretty damn good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.