What book are you reading now / or recommend?

Dead Men Risen by Toby Harnden.
A warts and all account of the Welsh Guards' six month tour of Helmand province in 2009. I'm half way through the book and have already been reduced to tears several times, as well as laughing at some of the things said in the heat of battle. Some of the passages have been redacted by the MoD, but the author has managed to convey what the missing "bits" were about.
The phrase "Lions led by donkeys" is particularly apt, as the overriding concerns of the Guards senior officers were lack of personnel, equipment and resources, as the Government set a limit on the total number of troops sent out. If someone was injured or killed, there were few, if any, replacements.
The difference between the UK and American outlook was stark. For example, a Patrol Base with 40 Guardsmen, which should have been around 120 strong, was handed over to the US Marines at the end of their stint, and 1500 took their place.
A very riveting book. Before the game today, I sat in the car and read another chapter!

The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks is one of the best / sickest books i've ever read. An an absolute head fuck of a book. I think i read it on the back of Stonys recommendation.
Haha, are you sure I actually recommended it, and didn't just mention how fucked up it was.
He's supposed to have written some cracking sci-fi stuff, but I've never got around to reading any. I think I'll give them a go next.

A warts and all account of the Welsh Guards' six month tour of Helmand province in 2009. I'm half way through the book and have already been reduced to tears several times, as well as laughing at some of the things said in the heat of battle. Some of the passages have been redacted by the MoD, but the author has managed to convey what the missing "bits" were about.
The phrase "Lions led by donkeys" is particularly apt, as the overriding concerns of the Guards senior officers were lack of personnel, equipment and resources, as the Government set a limit on the total number of troops sent out. If someone was injured or killed, there were few, if any, replacements.
The difference between the UK and American outlook was stark. For example, a Patrol Base with 40 Guardsmen, which should have been around 120 strong, was handed over to the US Marines at the end of their stint, and 1500 took their place.
A very riveting book. Before the game today, I sat in the car and read another chapter!
Another one for the list.
On a similar note, Sniper One. It's about the defence of Simic House by a small group of British squaddies.

I went to school with Toby, great guy. He's carved out a brilliant career for himself....where'as I, haven't!

Haha, are you sure I actually recommended it, and didn't just mention how fucked up it was.
He's supposed to have written some cracking sci-fi stuff, but I've never got around to reading any. I think I'll give them a go next.

His Culture novels are brilliant. I was fascinated for a time with the whole idea of "The Culture". A Utopian society consisting of many different alian races where you can do or be anything you like.

Start with "Consider Phlebas" Although "Player of Games" is my personal favourite.

Iain Banks is sadly missed.

His Culture novels are brilliant. I was fascinated for a time with the whole idea of "The Culture". A Utopian society consisting of many different alian races where you can do or be anything you like.

Start with "Consider Phlebas" Although "Player of Games" is my personal favourite.

Iain Banks is sadly missed.

Cheers Jimmy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.