What book are you reading now / or recommend?

BlueTG said:
HorshamBlue said:
BlueTG said:
Anyone got any recommendations, looking for something new to read
Lots I could recommend, but what are your interests (fact, fiction, genre)?
Picked up a few books about the war recently so I'm interested in that at the moment, fact more so than fiction, crime, started reading a lot more in spare time at uni and found a good couple of book stores with a great range.

I am suspecting you mean WW11 rather than WW1 but 'All Quiet on the Western Front' is one of the best books on war ever written.......it is a novel but written by a WW1 veteran.

citiblue375 said:
BlueTG said:
HorshamBlue said:
Lots I could recommend, but what are your interests (fact, fiction, genre)?
Picked up a few books about the war recently so I'm interested in that at the moment, fact more so than fiction, crime, started reading a lot more in spare time at uni and found a good couple of book stores with a great range.

I am suspecting you mean WW11 rather than WW1 but 'All Quiet on the Western Front' is one of the best books on war ever written.......it is a novel but written by a WW1 veteran.
find the hitler/concentration camp era very interesting, but we did WW1 in history at school for nearly 3 years so i do know quite a bit about it

thanks for the suggestions, catch 22 has been recommended before so ill follow that one up first!

Absolutely loving this

god-delusion.jpg

Markt85 said:
Absolutely loving this

god-delusion.jpg
used some of his ideas from this book in sociology, could you sum up what its main gist is? we never looked at this in huge detail

Jackson-ctid said:
Steve Jobs autobiography is worth a read
Sorry to inform you but that book doesn't exist, sadly. I'd read it if it did. Have you read any stuff on folklore.org? I've spent many an hour there.

-- Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:47 am --

BlueTG said:
used some of his ideas from this book in sociology, could you sum up what its main gist is? we never looked at this in huge detail
God is more unlikely than a multiverse. Why? Because I said so. Also, religion causes harm in the world.

BlueTG said:
citiblue375 said:
BlueTG said:

find the hitler/concentration camp era very interesting, but we did WW1 in history at school for nearly 3 years so i do know quite a bit about it

thanks for the suggestions, catch 22 has been recommended before so ill follow that one up first!
'All Quiet on the Western Front' is indeed one of the best books on war ever written. It was written by a German just after the war. I've seen the film also - a really old one made in the 20's or early 30's I believe - and rereading the book several years later (I'd read it for school previously) made me physically retch with some of the descriptions as I remembered back to the film and real footage of WWI.

Other classic books based on personal war experiences are Ernest Hemingway's 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' and George Orwell's 'Homage to Catalonia', both being about the Republican side in the the Spanish Civil War. In fact any of Hemingway's or Orwell's writings are well worth reading. Hemingway I do find difficult to get started with, but the stories are real crackers by the end.

Can't help you with the war, or crime, factual books though. Economic meltdown, environmental catastrophes and ecological destruction - yes, but crime as such - no (!!)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.