What car for approx 3k

Spot on about Vectras. Bought one for next to nothing when I started my business as I needed cheap and reliable, and have to say (and I'm a car fan - I ought to loathe everything about it) it was the best car I've ever had. Not objectively, of course not, but as a value for money proposition when I needed it, it is outstanding.

15 years since I last bought a new car! And yep, people think I'm insane, but oddly enough all my mates want a go in it, and want to know how it's getting on. I've also learnt more about cars in the 5 years than the preceding 40 as a result!

My mate buys a new car every 3 years loses about 15 grand in depreciation. Last 10 years I have spent 4K.

My mate buys a new car every 3 years loses about 15 grand in depreciation. Last 10 years I have spent 4K.

I refer you to your previous post about rotary engines! I've spent a lot more than that in the last few years - though funnily enough not on the engine which is healthy.

A labour of love in my case!

Then you get idiots like me who buy a car that should be a future classic for peanuts, spend a fortune on restoring it and try to convince myself it's financially sensible. ;-)

If it makes you grin pal then it's a deffo investement : )

Last edited by a moderator:
I refer you to your previous post about rotary engines! I've spent a lot more than that in the last few years - though funnily enough not on the engine which is healthy.

A labour of love in my case!

I didn't mention rotary engines although I have been close to an rx8 many times despite all their problems. Sooner or later they will be worth absolute peanuts so I may take the plunge for the hell of it.

Spot on about Vectras. Bought one for next to nothing when I started my business as I needed cheap and reliable, and have to say (and I'm a car fan - I ought to loathe everything about it) it was the best car I've ever had. Not objectively, of course not, but as a value for money proposition when I needed it, it is outstanding.

15 years since I last bought a new car! And yep, people think I'm insane, but oddly enough all my mates want a go in it, and want to know how it's getting on. I've also learnt more about cars in the 5 years than the preceding 40 as a result!

I've had a couple of sri 150 diesels, one auto and a manual, both exceptional. Was gutted to get rid of the last one, an 08 with sat nav and bluetooth, 41k and completely unmarked.. between 2010 and 2016 when i bought it the car had covered 800 miles and had been serviced 4 times at the main dealers. Try finding a car that's been serviced twice as often as its been filled up!! Let it go as it wasn't quite heavy enough to tow the caravan we'd bought. Wish I'd bought a lighter caravan.

I've had a couple of sri 150 diesels, one auto and a manual, both exceptional. Was gutted to get rid of the last one, an 08 with sat nav and bluetooth, 41k and completely unmarked.. between 2010 and 2016 when i bought it the car had covered 800 miles and had been serviced 4 times at the main dealers. Try finding a car that's been serviced twice as often as its been filled up!! Let it go as it wasn't quite heavy enough to tow the caravan we'd bought. Wish I'd bought a lighter caravan.

Haha that's the maddest thing I have ever heard, 800 miles in 6 years for a diesel. It probably cost more in soapy water than fuel. Good work fella

First off, avoid used car dealers; thats a guaranteed way of getting a £2k car for your £3k and the warranty won't be worth shit.
Honda civic is a good shout, bulletproof engines but check the electrics and clutch, also a bit too fast and furious for me (owned one for about 2 months; good to drive though). Best all round car you can buy in that range is a golf, but it will be high mileage. Have a look for an unmolested Seat Leon, basically a cheap golf with the same engines. Alternatively, you can get an extremely good Vectra for £3k. Yes, I know they're not fashionable but they're cheap, quick, reliable if looked after (front springs and egr valves the main 2 failings) and roomy. £3k will get you a 58 plate sri cdti 150bhp with less than 60k and a full history. You will not find better value.
What is it about Vauxhall and EGR valves ? Seems the be a real flaw in all of their engines, her in doors had a Corsa and a Zafira that both had this problem. Thankfully they are not expensive.

What is it about Vauxhall and EGR valves ? Seems the be a real flaw in all of their engines, her in doors had a Corsa and a Zafira that both had this problem. Thankfully they are not expensive.

Not sure it's a Vauxhall thing, bit like dpf in diesels. Modern cars have got too complex. You get a warning on your dash and NASA have to sought it out.

Not sure it's a Vauxhall thing, bit like dpf in diesels. Modern cars have got too complex. You get a warning on your dash and NASA have to sought it out.

Always worth investing a few pennies in an OBD reader. Franchised dealerships may not always be strictly honest, and the Check Engine Light can be on for anything from catastrophic failure to a clogged sensor.

Haha absolutely, all too complex for my liking, give me a rotor arm and a distributor any day !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.