What Causes Autism?

I've been told a few times over the decades that I'm introverted. Its a word that doesn't seem to be used now.

My girlfriend thinks that a ridiculously high number of people are autistic - including two of her three children (one of whom I agree with her on) as well as her last two ex's. She holds the view that anyone who isn't as outgoing and tactile as me (for example) is either subject to autism or aspergers and no amount of piss taking from me appears to deviate her from that view.

It's clearly an identifiable and very real condition, but as other have alluded to, it shouldn't be axiomatic of being introverted or socially awkward. It's a title that people lazily ascribe to too many individuals imo.

I think a lot of doctors are handing out Autism diagnose like confetti this days just to get kids through the cracks or extra help.. like a bad behaved kids they just hand them a diagnosis and some pills.. next.

ce06c73a8fdfa2f418094bf26d8df542.jpg

I don't think it's becoming more common, I think it's just more recognised now. A kid growing up in the 80's would have just been labelled as a bit quiet, not very sociable whereas now that same kid will be diagnosed as on the spectrum.

Same reason you didn't see any metatarsal injuries in football in the 70's, it was just called a broken toe.
Just to be pedantic a metatarsal is a bone in the foot but not part of the toe.

I think a lot of doctors are handing out Autism diagnose like confetti this days just to get kids through the cracks or extra help.. like a bad behaved kids they just hand them a diagnosis and some pills.. next.

It isn't that easy to get a diagnosis. I have a 3 1/2 non verbal autistic daughter, she can be extremely hard work to look after, she has a one to one at nursery, health visitor and several experts are helping, all agree she is autistic with severe global development delay. but guess what? she still hasn't been diagnosed as autistic.
On the flip side she absolutely brightens up mine, and others lives, she is mostly a very happy little girl, and her communication is getting better, hopefully it will keep improving

It isn't that easy to get a diagnosis. I have a 3 1/2 non verbal autistic daughter, she can be extremely hard work to look after, she has a one to one at nursery, health visitor and several experts are helping, all agree she is autistic with severe global development delay. but guess what? she still hasn't been diagnosed as autistic.
On the flip side she absolutely brightens up mine, and others lives, she is mostly a very happy little girl, and her communication is getting better, hopefully it will keep improving

Friend of ours had a similar situation, boy of 2 1/2 - 3 years old, clearly autistic according to docs and health visitors but he was / is "too young to diagnose".

It's not vaccines. Christ. The only people I've met in real life that think vaccines cause autism are fucking Donald Trump supporters. Be better than those people

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.