What determines who you support in Manchester? Is it a geographical thing?

Being born in Wythenshaw, and family. My first memory of my Great Uncle was him asking me "red or blue?". When I said "blue" he replied "Thank god for that. I'd rather you were a fairy than a rag". I had no idea what he meant at the time, but I never forgot what he said.

It used to be the one bus thing. Same all over the country....you went to the club you could get to on one bus. Where I live now in yorkshire (Spits! ) most people were traditionally Burnley supporters because there was a bus to Burnley, but you needed at least two busses to Leeds, who were 2nd division anyway. I became a City supporter having seen them lose 1955 cup final on Pathe news....no tv in those days. And the 101 bus took me from home to Moss Side!
Todmorden?

I was wondering what are the factors that decide who you support. Up here it's clearly on religious grounds, which nobody should want, but I've never heard what is it that determines if you're a Blue or a Red.

Enlighten me oh Blues.
I asked my grandad when I was aged 6 or 7 (69/70) why we were City fans and he replied ''because we are Protestants''. I didn't even know what that meant then! Yet my best mate is a Cafflick and Blue from Hyde.

Loads of liverpool fans when i was growing up early eighties a lot of them rags now.

Strength of character thing, no self confidence, let me be part of a winning tribe.

My eldest lad got loads of shit at primary school for being a blue and moved to the darkside to fit in. Not spoke to him since the gutless twat :)

I think family is paramount, but not completely, rather than geography.

My mums side are all rags, and a big influence on me was a very evident bragging culture within my family over football, and a belittling of all others. Especially underdogs city. Dad's side were blues, regular match going unlike the other side.

At school it was much the same, plenty of kids supporting Liverpool and United around cheadle in the 80s, to me that was the easy option. City just had more character, were more welcoming, and I was drawn to that. Split in school for me was about 50/25/25 between United, us and Liverpool. By secondary school there were very few 'Liverpool's fans left though, coinciding with their decline.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.