What determines who you support in Manchester? Is it a geographical thing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Magicpole, 10 Sep 2017.

1. manctheknife

manctheknife

Good man. What happened to Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, and Grub.....assuming we all know where Dibble went.

2. Pughie

Pughie

pro job dodger
    Im going to get a tattoo of this as it never gets boring.....haha

3. Magicpole

Magicpole

Low Intelligence Officer
    Loving reading all the stories of how you became blues. What comes through is a love of the club and a realisation that even if you tried, you cannot evict your team from your heart no matter how much they drive you mental.

I like that as for me that's the only way. No halfway house of emotional attachment.

4. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry

Ordinarily, I would say you follow in your fathers footsteps, I think it's part of a bonding process, me personally ( born Withington), never really sure why I chose to be a Blue, older brother was, although him being a blue would more than likely have made me go the other way, step dad was a red (born Whalley Range, Blue before 1958 ;-) and I was already Blue before he came on the scene) and as it transpired my biological dad was a red (Born Moss-Side).

My earliest memory though, and one I think is the thing that influenced me most albeit subconsciously, was seeing Colin Bell in an open neck shirt, V neck jumper, flared kecks, German helmet hairdo and platform shoes, as a kid I just thought he looked cool as fuck and I just wanted to be like him.

5. Banshee

Banshee

No Blues in immediate family, just cousins. Dad was a rag, took me a couple of times. Uncle was a Pool fan, took my brother with him. Mum would take us to Bury. Asked my Mum for a City scarf, boy up the street liked em. Yeh, not great but in my defense it was the 70's, I was about 10

6. sir baconface

sir baconface

GPC, FOC and bar
    Nah, mate. The Busby Babes were mainstream and I believe the rags picked up sympathy support post-Munich. I started going to City in the early 60s and am pretty sure there were more reds than blues in those days. (Maybe not massively more.) Then, despite the glorious Bell/Lee/Summerbee team, the red cnuts consolidated further with Best/Charlton/Law and their European Cup win. History then shows they went on to grow to 680 million ;)

I don't have stats but an analysis of average attendances over the years would give some (imperfect) idea of relative popularity. Would be really interested to see them.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2017
  7. mccity

mccity

Thread Killer
    I think the lesson here is I know nothing ;)

8. Ban-jani

Ban-jani

I thought that but my Mrs lives in north Manchester so I now spend a huge amount of time up there, it's full of City shirts from my experience.

United only outnumber us in Salford and Trafford I'd say but there's obviously a lot dotted about in blue majority areas.

9. worsleyweb

worsleyweb

Property Development
    Where I grew up in didsbury at a Church of England school everyone seemed to support city.

10. bluegirl74

bluegirl74

My old man supported Leeds and my mum was a blue dipper. But then Niall Quinn ♥️♥️♥️ signed...