What Do They Physically Do When You Change Internet Provider?

Lancet Fluke

Currently moving from Sky to BT and as usual whenever BT are involved, something that should be fairly straightforward has ended up being a long drawn out tale of incompetence. Out of interest (and so I can detect their bullshit next time I call them up for a friendly chat), what do BT actually do to take over our broadband? Is it done on their computer system or does an engineer have to go and do something physical at an exchange? It's just ordinary broadband, through the copper landline cable. Cheers.

Currently moving from Sky to BT and as usual whenever BT are involved, something that should be fairly straightforward has ended up being a long drawn out tale of incompetence. Out of interest (and so I can detect their bullshit next time I call them up for a friendly chat), what do BT actually do to take over our broadband? Is it done on their computer system or does an engineer have to go and do something physical at an exchange? It's just ordinary broadband, through the copper landline cable. Cheers.
It depends on who you are changing from and to.

SInce "local loop unbundling" was introduced, third parties have been able to install their own kit in the local exchanges. So some ISP's use the BT kit and some others use their own. Sky are one of the ones who use their own kit. Whether they do that in every exchange, or only in some, I am not sure but it means there's a good chance you had to be physically disconnected from the Sky kit and connected up to BT.

SInce "local loop unbundling" was introduced, third parties have been able to install their own kit in the local exchanges. So some ISP's use the BT kit and some others use their own. Sky are one of the ones who use their own kit. Whether they do that in every exchange, or only in some, I am not sure but it means there's a good chance you had to be physically disconnected from the Sky kit and connected up to BT.
Interesting, thanks for that, very useful for my ongoing arguments.

thanks bud, i thought it was mainly Talk Talk that did that.

Just changed from sky to bt and everything went smoothly on the day promised.
The new router they supplied is excellent and we now have no requirement for a booster box for the other rooms.

A quick question.
Am I correct in thinking we can only utilise the services of BT through their router or can we use a router of our own that incorparates a built in vpn.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.