What do you look for in an ideal pub?

As per thread title.

I'd say:-

Nice country location with good parking.

Definitely no juke Box, Sky tv one arm bandits or pool table.

Nice attractive bar area with hanging brassware.

Low beamed old worlde ceiling.

No kids allowed.

Red thick pile carpet.

Good beer/food at a reasonable price.

Large blazing log fire in winter.

Bar staff must be under forty have tight fitting tops and big knockers.

I think that just about covers it.
Local ales

Minimal food - maybe some pork pies and baps/rolls - no cooking food stink
No kids
Friendly pub cat
One room with Sky sport if you want it
Juke box (free) full of classics
Good choice of beers from UK and beyond
Quiz now and again
Comfy chairs to sink into
Roaring fire in winter

Tap room and separate Snug/Best Room
Tap Room - couple of card tables going on saturday dinners with no heavy stakes (9 Card Don/Crash with Chase The Ace / Shoot later on for a giggle. Pool and Darts.

Non of the poncy IPAs, Bottles of Newkie/Pills. Draught 2 Brewery lagers and Stella (reasonably priced(£3 or under) Strongbow Original and Dark Fruits(in case you bring a bit of rough in with you) Bitter and Mild for the old ens

Best room
Bucket seats (no fuckin sofas) cast iron tables. As above plus Cask Ales, Babycham and house white ont optic. Karaoke Friday/ Late on Sunday Dinner, Artist on Saturday evening.

Tap room and separate Snug/Best Room
Tap Room - couple of card tables going on saturday dinners with no heavy stakes (9 Card Don/Crash with Chase The Ace / Shoot later on for a giggle. Pool and Darts.

Non of the poncy IPAs, Bottles of Newkie/Pills. Draught 2 Brewery lagers and Stella (reasonably priced(£3 or under) Strongbow Original and Dark Fruits(in case you bring a bit of rough in with you) Bitter and Mild for the old ens

Best room
Bucket seats (no fuckin sofas) cast iron tables. As above plus Cask Ales, Babycham and house white ont optic. Karaoke Friday/ Late on Sunday Dinner, Artist on Saturday evening.

Dad? Is that you?

Exposed brick walls and eating food off bits of wood.

You just don't see enough of that these days.

Last edited:
No kids
Near a football stadium
opens early
shuts late
clean bogs
No food (only crisps n shit)
Decent selection of ale
Bar staff that serve instead of chatting amongst themselves or going AWOL
Bar staff who remember who is next in the queue

Think that covers everything on my wish list

I live 5 miles from this and I concur its a cracking pub but can fill up with MCTs now and again
Ok so whats an MCT ? We live in NZ so for my famdamily it was there first experience of a country pub and accommodation... was seamless .... go back in a heartbeat ...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.