What if all home grown players were from the EDS?

TonyM

Do we have the necessary talent in the EDS to not have to store up senior Home Grown players? Could we keep Hews around rather than Rodwell (loan to prove himself or just sell)? Lopes instead of Sinclair seems straight forward.

If we have a core of capable and pliable kids then why bother with any English players unless the player is truly top class, e.g. Hart and Milner?

Or is it just taking too much risk in an important season (World Cup and African Nations could put extra stress on our senior squad as it is)?

I mean ...could we not bother about the Home Grown quota at all. Just rely on the EDS regardless of age.

TonyM said:
I mean ...could we not bother about the Home Grown quota at all. Just rely on the EDS regardless of age.

we could but the standard of the team will simply go down. Ell, I think an u21 player can be registered as homegrown but they have to take up one of the 25 squad places (I think?). Right now I would be ok with having Lopes and Huws registered in the main squad as homegrown, but personally I think they would be better off on loan. Don't want any others being included in the squad yet though, no one has proved themselves capable.

I'd love to see promotion from within, but let's have perspective here. Vieira has done a fine job and there are some good players, but most of these will not be ready for a team of City's caliber and may never be.

It's also important to note they didn't exactly piss the U21 league, they finished 4th then went out in the playoff semis, so were not the national standouts despite scoring lots of goals.

If we promoted a bunch of them at once and gave them regular games, I feel results will start to suffer as mansour's tow ropes already said. City's long-term youth project is still in its infancy (the new CFA isn't even open yet) so the talents in general may be at a standard in a few years where we really could consider multiple promotions at once, much like Barcelona can (though they have been neglecting the academy lately).

I think Lopes deserves the promotion, but anyone else I'm not sure. Rekik seems to be doing very well, but wants at least 20 games so another loan beckons. Huws will probably be considered but it's a big step up from Birmingham to Manchester City and didn't his form tail off a bit towards the end of his loan?

mansour's tow ropes said:
TonyM said:

we could but the standard of the team will simply go down. Ell, I think an u21 player can be registered as homegrown but they have to take up one of the 25 squad places (I think?). Right now I would be ok with having Lopes and Huws registered in the main squad as homegrown, but personally I think they would be better off on loan. Don't want any others being included in the squad yet though, no one has proved themselves capable.
I'm sure I read that Lopes wouldn't count as homegrown, because they have to be at the club for 3 years first, and he's only been here 2.

I'm With Stupid said:
mansour's tow ropes said:
TonyM said:

I'm sure I read that Lopes wouldn't count as homegrown, because they have to be at the club for 3 years first, and he's only been here 2.
He doesn't need registering at all, but when he does (in about 3 years), he will count as HG. You don't "need" HG players, it's just that your squad size is limited without them, but if you bolster your squad instead with player U21 who don't need registering, it works out the same

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.