What is a 7 Day NHS?

BigJoe#1

Mods, I know there is a separate thread on Hunt no and the Doctors contracts, but I think this is a separate topic which deserves separate consideration. However if you feel you must I guess you'll merge it.

To the topic.

Does anyone have any views on what the 7 day NHS will look like and what it will deliver?

I think we need to separate from the GP argument though I guess it could be rolled up into a single discussion.

To me the role of the NHS at weekends is to provide an accident and emergency service that is free to at the point of use. And, to a greater or lesser degree, waiting times considered, it does this.

If you are unfortunate enough to need hospital treatment at the weekend you get it. You can be seen by a doctor, you can be X-rayed, you can have scans done, bloods tested everything.

So what over and above this is the government looking to deliver? I really don't know. I appreciate we could probably do with more doctors and more radiologists and more haematologists and phlebotomist but surely only in the name of improving the current service.

Do we want Oncologists, Gynacologists, Opthamologists to name a few, all working regular services and doing clinics at the weekends? I believe they are all on an "on call" system and if needed will be called out over the weekend to attend urgent patients needs..... So my question remains; Does anyone know what it is that the government are trying to deliver, because I'm blowed if I do.

Thoughts would be welcomed.

Last edited:
It's a Tory buzzword to cover budgeting the NHS for a 5 day budget spread over 7.

precursor to privatisation. No private company will touch it with the current staff contracts in place.

There isn't a 7 day service, in that you'll get the same care at weekends or bank holidays.

Consultant cover at weekends is poor. You'll get care in A&E, but once out of there then it's pot luck. If you work for a living then you're fucked trying to get a clinic appointment that doesn't mean you having to miss a days work.

It won't change anytime soon unless there is movement on the enhancements that the NHS give out for weekend and bank holiday working. Now if you believe those enhancements should be paid, and at the current rate, then fine, but the country try can't afford a 7 day service.

I personally believe that the NHS gives a fantastic service. Doctors and nurses work their arses off, but don't let's kid ourselves that they're living on the bread line. However, in places like A&E it's a very high pressure environment where some are lucky to get a 30 minute break in a 12.5 hour shift.

The whole issue is a fucking minefield, and unfortunately it's way too politicised to get a coherent and level headed discussion.

In November the NHS admitted my wife into a labour ward at 4:40am on a Saturday morning and her care throughout the difficult birth of our daughter was absolutely exemplary. The same was the case a couple of years ago when I was taken ill into hospital over a weekend. In our experience the NHS is already running seven days a week, 24 hours a day and despite its widely reported flaws is a unparalleled force for life saving and the care of people. What bastards like Hunt are exacting is deliberate and calculated sabotage in order to dispense with tax-funded healthcare and to promote the interests of their friends in private companies. It is beyond negligent, it is bastardry against the British people and it must be opposed.

There isn't a 7 day service, in that you'll get the same care at weekends or bank holidays.

Consultant cover at weekends is poor. You'll get care in A&E, but once out of there then it's pot luck. If you work for a living then you're fucked trying to get a clinic appointment that doesn't mean you having to miss a days work.

It won't change anytime soon unless there is movement on the enhancements that the NHS give out for weekend and bank holiday working. Now if you believe those enhancements should be paid, and at the current rate, then fine, but the country try can't afford a 7 day service.

I personally believe that the NHS gives a fantastic service. Doctors and nurses work their arses off, but don't let's kid ourselves that they're living on the bread line. However, in places like A&E it's a very high pressure environment where some are lucky to get a 30 minute break in a 12.5 hour shift.

The whole issue is a fucking minefield, and unfortunately it's way too politicised to get a coherent and level headed discussion.

It is as simple as this.

iqbfrq.jpg

^^^no, that's extremely simplistic. There's far more to it, and the biggest issue is money.
Not according to Hunt who says no one will be worse off once they get their 13.5% increase.

The problem is simply there are not enough doctors to deliver the service today, so by cutting hours through the week and making people work at weekends to compensate will not address the problem. The work that will be left undone during the week by moving people to weekends will still need to be done.... it ain't going to just disappear or evaporate is it?

Nope, it the problem in a nutshell.

The issue of money is taking on the people to do the work and paying them fairly.
Not the tory way at all.

Nope, it the problem in a nutshell.

The issue of money is taking on the people to do the work and paying them fairly.
Not the tory way at all.
Do you know how much the NHS pays admin/nurses/doctors for Saturday and Sunday working? Oh, don't forget night rates. Oh, and any time after 8 o'clock at night is paid at night rate as well. They are paid fairly, anyone who says different is wrong.

There's a debate to be had, but if all you're going to say is 'bad Tories' then it's pointless. Blair crippled the NHS with PFI. Some of the fucking bills coming into the NHS for day to day tasks like putting a shelf up are fucking ludicrous.....all down to Labour.

Do you know how much the NHS pays admin/nurses/doctors for Saturday and Sunday working? Oh, don't forget night rates. Oh, and any time after 8 o'clock at night is paid at night rate as well. They are paid fairly, anyone who says different is wrong.

There's a debate to be had, but if all you're going to say is 'bad Tories' then it's pointless. Blair crippled the NHS with PFI. Some of the fucking bills coming into the NHS for day to day tasks like putting a shelf up are fucking ludicrous.....all down to Labour.

Illustrates the point really, New labour left 6 years ago and this fuckwit has done nothing.
Give the Jester a ring to speak to him about his pamphlet and the privatisation of the NHS
Its here https://whatwouldvirchowdo.files.wo...mocracy___an_agenda_for_a_new_model_party.pdf
Make sure you ask for him on a Saturday, it is after all a working day, you maybe surprised at the reply, tbf you wont.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.