What is a 7 Day NHS?

They would lose the public backing if they did that and fall into the govt designs.....can you imagine, army Dr's having to man hospitals because civvy Dr's withdraw emergency care....other option would be for he govt to make it illegal, but best strategy would be the former
Army Drs how many of them do you think there are, they'd probably cover London of that and they would be permanently on, no rest.

When they signed the contracts it was for extra money for unsocial hours,nights,evenings,weekends and bank holidays.I worked pretty much every christmas in 20yrs and the exta bit of money made up for it.Now the tories are changing the contracts and those NHS workers all have rights so are rightly sticking up for themselves,a knackered dr may have to try and save your life one day thats why the extra hours are not on either

Karen love I just don't get how a person can want a career as a doctor but not expect to work unsocial hours? Junior doctors have always had to work long hours, it's the bottom of the ladder and they know one day it will be someone else's turn as they go on to be GPs or consultants etc and thus earning more money. I don't see them working the type of hours they would have done in recent history. As for the tired comment, we are all tired sweet. It's part and parcel of a working day for virtually everyone.

Look I wouldn't bat an eyelid if they earned £hundreds of thousands as they are worth it, every single penny but I object to the fact they think a career in medicine gives them a right to moan about working nights or weekends as folk are sick all the time and don't take the weekend or night off from it.

Army Drs how many of them do you think there are, they'd probably cover London of that and they would be permanently on, no rest.

Your missing the point not about numbers, wouldn't even matter if they only had 2 or 3 dozen. It would be a PR disaster if the govt had to draft in Dr's from the forces because regular Dr's refuse to provide critical care. How much sympathy would they be able to count on from the public then?

Your missing the point not about numbers, wouldn't even matter if they only had 2 or 3 dozen. It would be a PR disaster if the govt had to draft in Dr's from the forces because regular Dr's refuse to provide critical care. How much sympathy would they be able to count on from the public then?
I think they are past caring about what the public may think, it's the same every time public sector go on strike, draft in the forces the public will be outraged, well I know from experience the public most of the time don't care, if they withdraw the emergency care for 1 maybe 2 days then the government will be fucked, watch the public turn on Hunt like never before. I fully support the doctors this government is riding the fuck out of everyone it's about time it stopped.

I'm not going to answer the question of whether what the Govt is doing is right or wrong ... but to the OP's question what is a 7 day NHS, to me its a service which is identically staffed and capable every single day of the week - it should not matter that what day it is when it comes to ANY service they offer, be it A&E, planned treatment, unplanned treatment, consultations, whatever - no differet, and this is basically because the health and welfare of human beings generally operates on a 7 day basis - there can be no prescription that you can't be ill on a Sunday - its not how nature works. and therefore it is reasonable to assume that the most efficient way to run the health service (and to have it staffed) is on an all days are equal in the week - anybody who signed up to work in the NHS (on the front line anyway) should be wholly aware about these basic facts and accept what that means for their working life and the impact on their non-working lives - and before I get shot down in flames here, I am utterly certain that the vast vast majority of NHS employees to their absolute best for their patients on a day to day basis - no argument.

Karen love I just don't get how a person can want a career as a doctor but not expect to work unsocial hours? Junior doctors have always had to work long hours, it's the bottom of the ladder and they know one day it will be someone else's turn as they go on to be GPs or consultants etc and thus earning more money. I don't see them working the type of hours they would have done in recent history. As for the tired comment, we are all tired sweet. It's part and parcel of a working day for virtually everyone.

Look I wouldn't bat an eyelid if they earned £hundreds of thousands as they are worth it, every single penny but I object to the fact they think a career in medicine gives them a right to moan about working nights or weekends as folk are sick all the time and don't take the weekend or night off from it.
I think I'd want a wide awake doctor if they are making life and death decisions, that comment is so condescending.

I think I couched it in slightly less confrontational terms above ;-)

Of course part of the job is unsocial hours,thats a given and that is what NHS staff do.The issue here is the gov wanting to rip up their contracts and give them worse ones and that is not right for anyone in any job who has a contract,workers have rights and less of the sweet please

I think I'd want a wide awake doctor if they are making life and death decisions, that comment is so condescending.

Why is it mate?

I want an awake policeman,, paramedic, bus driver, HGV driver, train driver etc etc.

If it's about money then come clean on the issue as I know I'd support it no problems as they deserve more but I don't like the whinging and moaning about unsociable hours. Pay them a decent salary that reflects their hard work and dedication as well as skill and have done with it but then cut the talk about working weekends etc.

Of course part of the job is unsocial hours,thats a given and that is what NHS staff do.The issue here is the gov wanting to rip up their contracts and give them worse ones and that is not right for anyone in any job who has a contract,workers have rights and less of the sweet please

Term of endearment.

No problems, won't use it again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.