What is the oldest song or chant that City fans sing?

Ric

Administrator
Had an email from an American journalist asking the above question. Anyone who's been watching us for a long time got any ideas?

Had an email from an American journalist asking the above question. Anyone who's been watching us for a long time got any ideas?
The earliest known MCFC specific song I've tracked down is 'Who Said City Couldn't Play". It was sung in 1930s (film of fans singing it at 1934 homecoming exists) and lasted into 1940s.

Pre-1930s fans sang local folk songs or popular music hall songs like Lassie From Lancashire. They also sang along with the band to whatever tunes they played.

1950s the Bless 'Em All adapted song was created for the 50s team.

Of songs still being sung: Never Felt More like Singing The Blues goes back to late 50s/early 60s (my guess is that it was sung at some of the derbies in mid-50s but older fans may know).

'We've got an M an A.... we come from Maine Road, Manchester...." - goes back about 60 years too.

Of course, "You'll Never Walk Alone" was definitely being sung by City fans in the 1960s (and 70s) too!

I would suggest the following song common in the early 1960s:

City are the team
They're the best team in the land,
Playing away games,
Always in command,
(echo:) Now and again.

We may lose a point or two,
But we never do despair,
(echo:) Why not?
'Cause you can't beat the boys in the old light blue,
When they come from Manchester.

The earliest known MCFC specific song I've tracked down is 'Who Said City Couldn't Play". It was sung in 1930s (film of fans singing it at 1934 homecoming exists) and lasted into 1940s.

Pre-1930s fans sang local folk songs or popular music hall songs like Lassie From Lancashire. They also sang along with the band to whatever tunes they played.

1950s the Bless 'Em All adapted song was created for the 50s team.

Of songs still being sung: Never Felt More like Singing The Blues goes back to late 50s/early 60s (my guess is that it was sung at some of the derbies in mid-50s but older fans may know).

'We've got an M an A.... we come from Maine Road, Manchester...." - goes back about 60 years too.

Of course, "You'll Never Walk Alone" was definitely being sung by City fans in the 1960s (and 70s) too!

Cheers Gary, knew I could rely on you!

Auld Lang’s Syne tune, from about 1971, after Vienna

In 1963 we fell, into division 2
The Stretford end cried out allowed
It’s the end of the Sky Blues.
Joe Mercer came, we played the game
We went to Rotherham
We won 1-0 and we went back
Into Division 1
Since then, we’ve won the League ,we’ve won the Cup
We’ve won in Europe too
And when we win the League again we’ll sing this song for you.
City City City

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.