What is there new and worthwhile to do in Manchester?

SebastianBlue

President, International Julian Alvarez Fan Club
I will be bringing my Swiss missus to god’s own city (as well as Edinburgh) for her first time in a few weeks (on business come holiday trip) and have begun drawing up plans for things to do and places to show her. I have my own list of must visits, of course, and have also received some tips from family and mates, but wanted to query you fine gentlemen and ladies to see if anything new and worthwhile has popped up over the past few years in my absence.

We will be taking in the Soton demolition (hopefully) after a tour of the CFA campus now that it is complete, as well as going round the old Maine Road area (I’ve already told her it will be mostly a walk around houses whilst I go on about days gone by). Visits to City Centre, Fletcher Moss, Rylands Library, and Albert Square are planned (many on her insistence). I’ve also been told the City of Manchester Distillery is worth admission, especially given the missus loves gin. I’m not sure Market St is worth the time any more, nor Arndale, if I want keep my savings. As the culinary obsessive, she’s already drawn up a list of restaurants we will be trying, including El Gato Negro and Mowlgi; I’ve pencilled in Mary D’s, of course, and Federal Cafe (based on a mate’s suggestion).

So, beyond that, what say you? Anything interesting or not to be missed?

What about Edinburgh, for those that know it well?

We aren’t skint but would prefer reasonably priced fare, and will be there from the 27th through the 30th.

Cheers!

Christmas markets a big thing in both cities.
My mum already showed her pictures of me as a small lad strolling through the markets so that will be on the list.

I have missed them, though, I’ll never admit it to her (I’m not very sentimental, aside from City and few other specific things, so don’t want to let on that the Christmas markets are a sappy bit for me). They aren’t quite the same in Spain and the states.

Come see the winos and druggies not forgetting the homeless. More and more each year.
My mate in N4 said something about that in passing the other day—I don’t recall it being a problem back 2013.

Has it really got that bad?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.