What makes Barcelona so good?

Matt the Giant said:
Could our owners create a winning monster in Manchester city with an English manager? With a squad primarily made up of English players?

Do an English version of what Barcelona is doing in Spain? Buy every young English prospect there is out there, develop the best academy in the world, establish a philosophy for how the team plays, based on an offensive, attractive and efficient style of football, and so on.

That would be something, wouldn't it. And I for one wouldn't mind the wait for success, as long as the team, no matter the names on the team sheet, always played with a 100% commitment and love for the shirt they are wearing.

The fantasy fails immediately though, as there are no young English managers who have the capacity to do this. Or is there?

yes. the young 'arry , course

Ah, obviously!

Anyone care to list a starting XI plus subs based on Brittish players only? Then send that list to the Sheik and tell him to buy them all.

It would probably be the England squad plus Ramsey and Bale.

Matt the Giant said:
Ah, obviously!

Anyone care to list a starting XI plus subs based on Brittish players only? Then send that list to the Sheik and tell him to buy them all.

Probably not. Most of those players have been poorly trained. You are talking about a 10 year project here. Most of the players you want to start with should be between the ages of 8 - 12. Not older. You find naturally talented lads with McEachran and Wishere type tendencies, and develop it at every position. The defenders, midfielders and Forwards have to all have this. Instill possession as the #1 goal of playing, and team ball recovery.

You coach about 100 kids like this for 10 years, and then add maybe 2 players from outside the academy who are just supremely talented, and you'd have an English version of Barca B.

Southhampton seems to have a program like that. But they sell their kids off too soon.

Generally speaking outside of Arsenal, no English club I have seen at the youth level understands the value of possession as a goal in itself. The general thrust seems to be towards creating numerical advantage in all situations. SO football is played at a frenetic pace with lots of mistakes. And the general philosophy revolves around capitalizing on the mistakes created by the frenetic play.

Dax777 said:
Matt the Giant said:
Ah, obviously!

Probably not. Most of those players have been poorly trained. You are talking about a 10 year project here. Most of the players you want to start with should be between the ages of 8 - 12. Not older. You find naturally talented lads with McEachran and Wishere type tendencies, and develop it at every position. The defenders, midfielders and Forwards have to all have this. Instill possession as the #1 goal of playing, and team ball recovery.

You coach about 100 kids like this for 10 years, and then add maybe 2 players from outside the academy who are just supremely talented, and you'd have an English version of Barca B.

Southhampton seems to have a program like that. But they sell their kids off too soon.

Generally speaking outside of Arsenal, no English club I have seen at the youth level understands the value of possession as a goal in itself. The general thrust seems to be towards creating numerical advantage in all situations. SO football is played at a frenetic pace with lots of mistakes. And the general philosophy revolves around capitalizing on the mistakes created by the frenetic play.

Cant argue with this.

TFC said:
I think their players ability to create space where there seemingly is none is a joy to watch.

Also, you cant underestimate the outlet they have in Dani Alves, the amount of times they found him in acres of space down the right on Wednesday was amazing, and what was even more amazing was that Wenger didnt try to do anything about it.
I too was amazed at how they continued to find space down the wings...and after Alves had caused them so much trouble they simple sent a ball out for Adriano on the left to a similar effect...

It's their class, mentality, and tactics that makes them play the way they do. At the heart of the team is the midfield brilliance of Xavi, who I consider one of the greatest midfielders I have ever seen, alongside Iniesta, the two of them alone who have been playing with each other for years. Up front you can stick anyone, whether it's Eto'o or Messi, a forward with good ball control and movement, topped with a solid finish. On the wings you have David Villa, Pedro, and the supporting wing-play of guys like Dani Alves, who with a quick-one-two are able to penetrate the opposition.

Their system is not flawless, however, and they are beatable. I need to take my blue specs off but I think if our team had a good day and put in 110% effort with strong tactics from Mancini, we could beat them too.

The problem is trying to keep possession of the ball and out of the hands of their midfield, as their entire team try to win the ball back as a unit as soon as they concede possession.

Joga Bonito said:
TFC said:
I think their players ability to create space where there seemingly is none is a joy to watch.
Their system is not flawless, however, and they are beatable. I need to take my blue specs off but I think if our team had a good day and put in 110% effort with strong tactics from Mancini, we could beat them too.

The problem is trying to keep possession of the ball and out of the hands of their midfield, as their entire team try to win the ball back as a unit as soon as they concede possession.

Barca followed their clear tactical vision from early 90s (Dreamteam).
Its based on the influence of Total Voetball (Hollands 70s Style).

Their System is pure controlled, its not error-free, becouse none is. Thats mostly becouse of the invidual skills.

Actually, Barca has the complex system at all. They do defense, midfield and attack Pressing on the highest Level. They have the optimal Player types for their Systems.

Code:
From 4-4-1-1 to 3-4-3, from 4-(1-2)-3 to 4-5-1.

But Barca has an strong emotional connection too, their mental strength is bigger than you can imagine. All their Topstars have growd there, they love the Jersey, they love the Club all the way. This is nothing to be underestimated.

The problem is ballpossession? Oh, that aint the only problem.

Like i said: They do defense, midfield and attack Pressing on the highest Level.

The switching from defense to off is their most powerful tool. They have perfected it.

City on the other way is with Mancini having a huge influence of patent italian style (totally defence pressing). He did modified the classic System onto the newer 4-5-1. But there arent a strong Midfield line, there are none automatics. There arent planned attacks on the Sides, no Connections between Fullback-Winger.

Basically, The offensive part is provided to Improvisation.

Im not saying Mancini has absolutely no idea bout Tactics - its just not working, HE is great mental and emotional Coach, but Tactician General like Hidink is he not.

At this moment City would lose 9/10 Games.

Nervous Nedum said:
How do you beat them then? How did Inter beat them in last season's Champions League?
Easy!!! Hope and Pray they have an off night :) That is how Inter did it last year.

Pass and move, pass and move. Simples.
Whenever one player has the ball there's always two people available. And when they lose it they actively try and get it back.

Compare that to City's philosophy... Pass to Silva, to Tevez, back to Silva, back to Tevez... everybody else stand still, wait for Tevez to shoot, run back to your own half, wait for the opposition to give it you back.<br /><br />-- Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:53 am --<br /><br />Unfortunately at City we have players who control the ball further that I can kick it.!

Barry, Milner, SWP, Richard, Lescott for instance.

This doesn't work with the Barca style for some reason.

Nervous Nedum said:
How do you beat them then? How did Inter beat them in last season's Champions League?
If anyone could send a team out to beat them it would be mourinho but he needed specific players in vital areas, the main men in that victory where the wide attackers which if my memory serves me right they where etoo and pandev, as we know barca play very high up the pitch and in a way there weakness is in wide areas as the fullbacks as we know bomb on and are basically wingers, if the wide players can stop the full backs but at the same time are able to counter quickly supporting a lone striker you can get in behind barca, it means you need to be able to withstand the first wave of pressing and retain possession , then when this is achieved you hit the on the break and you need to ensure you take your chances which inter did with milito

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.