What makes Barcelona so good?

Guys, is not that Barca are unbeatable rather thier ethic makes them hard to beat, the foundations of the youth policy laid down by Johan Croyff based on a type of total football going back to Rinus Michels is reaping benefits.

To make all the 7 second phasing plays work, you need players with stamina. The thing about Barca is they are not a tall side, all of their players (with the exception of a CB or two) are of a size and build to allow them to play at high intensity of the full 90 minutes. Not many big players can do that.

IMO Arsene Venger has latched onto this, his sides are physically comparable with Barca, with high skill and stamina levels.

I think this is where the English game has come suffered in terms of skill, its now mostly all about power and height, and playing the percentages. With the route one game, once the ball has gone airborne, you have a 50/50 chance of winning it back, so you press the opposing defence until the ball goes back to the goalie, you get the big punt forward, and your big players win the header. Also, launch enough high balls into the opposing box and one will eventually drop kindly to be smacked in. (Thank Fat Sam for this)

At the moment good english prem sides needs a mix of both types of play, which is why Arsenal sometimes struggle (particularly against Stoke), and why in the past few years the rags and Chelski have prospered, because they have had a good mix of both styles.

Its also why i personally think, a good english prem side (on its day) will give Barca a game, because for all their sublime skill and athletisism, they can still be bullied into a defeat. Jose Moriniho has shown that.

mattbw7 said:
Guys, is not that Barca are unbeatable rather thier ethic makes them hard to beat, the foundations of the youth policy laid down by Johan Croyff based on a type of total football going back to Rinus Michels is reaping benefits.

correct.

The guy who said work rate is right. The relevant word being rate not work. I'd bet that their players don't actually run very far during the 90 minutes because they've developed a way of shortening the game that's a bit risky but they eliminate the risk as quickly as possible before it develops. That's the reason for the quick pressure on the ball carrier. It's to get the ball back so they don't have to make long runs. I don't know if it's been calculated but imo the distance from their highest player to their last defender is consistent and fairly short. In Sunday's game with Reading there was a passage of play after about 20 minutes when it looked like a game at 70 minutes spread out from box to box. Barca just don't do that sort of football because it's tiring to make repeated long runs and tired players make mistakes. To help them, they use the offside line very sharply at both ends and they do score a lot of goals that are very very borderline.

In short I'd say that they prioritise time active over yards covered. In other words their aim is for their players to be actively involved for 90+ minutes rather than to run 9000+ metres.

One way to beat them is what Mourinho did.
Not pretty but it worked.

mattbw7 said:

Second this. There are two things:
1) good home-grown talents with understanding of culture/spirit/readiness to fight till the end
2) getting and sustaining total football philosophy through Jack Reynolds> Rinus Michels> Johannes Cruijff> Guardiola

1. They are supremely talented which makes it easier for a start

2. They are supremely talented because most of the players have come through their system and taught to play the Barca way, the only obstacle that any youth team player coming into the first team is nerves/confidence, the way they have been brought up the same way as the first team means they can fit in easily.

3. Because they have been brought up the same way from when they were kids, they have a real affinity for the club, the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Puyol ect all love and want to die for the club, it is in their hearts, the likes of Fabregas, Pique know they have made or did make huge mistakes by leaving Barca first time around. That kind of team spirit and togetherness and desire to make the club successful is priceless because lets be honest, if Barca or Madrid wanted any of our players they would all be off in a shot if we allowed them.

4. The league they play in helps alot aswell, it is not competitive enough for them, the majority of the games is walking pace/training game pace which helps them compete on all fronts throughout the season, at least if they were in the prem they would get a game every week.

I can see them ruling Spain and Europe for the next 10 years at least, Messi, Iniesta, Xavi ect can all play another 10 years in Spain.

big blueballs said:
Nervous Nedum said:
How do you beat them then? How did Inter beat them in last season's Champions League?
If anyone could send a team out to beat them it would be mourinho but he needed specific players in vital areas, the main men in that victory where the wide attackers which if my memory serves me right they where etoo and pandev, as we know barca play very high up the pitch and in a way there weakness is in wide areas as the fullbacks as we know bomb on and are basically wingers, if the wide players can stop the full backs but at the same time are able to counter quickly supporting a lone striker you can get in behind barca, it means you need to be able to withstand the first wave of pressing and retain possession , then when this is achieved you hit the on the break and you need to ensure you take your chances which inter did with milito
To be honest, there is only one way to beat this Barca. Hope and pray they have an off day. I know Mourihno gets a lot of credit for beating Barca., but in all honesty, the tiredness of riding a bus from Barca to Milan due to the Volcanic ash that grounded planes that week, probably played a bigger role in Inter's success than any tactical adjustment made by Mourihno.

And even in spite of that handicap, they out shot Inter. We all already know they will out-possess you on the field. So we don't even need to count that as evidence of dominance. That is just a given. The question is can you stop them from out-shooting you. The answer often is No! Thus, to beat Barca, you have to plan on winning in spite of being dominated on possession and shots on goal. In short, you have to be lucky!

The only team I have seen play Barca toe too toe, was the Chelsea team in 09. That team played Barca to a standstill and frustrated them. Barca was lucky to get the equalizer. As for Mourihno's Inter in 2010, they were dominated in both games like any other team, and outshot 20 to 1 in the game at Camp Nou. Even at Inter, Barca was the better team early but they tired as the game went on. Even their talent couldn't overcome the fatigue of riding a bus to the game.

Luck has been the only way to beat this Barca team. They have to be off their game. And you have to be lucky. For now there is no other team in the world who can play up to their standard. And their are not tactical maneuvers, short of blowing up a volcano so they have to travel by bus, that has proven effective.

I mean, Mourihno thought he had a formula after the inter success. Then he showed up with a better team, with better players, including the 2nd most talented player in the world , yet he got five smacked for all his troubles. That is what happens when you face an in form Barca. You get beat every-time.

Off day and Luck! The only formula that have ever proven effective over the last 2 years!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.