What teams did people at your school support?

Rammy turned red in the later part of the Seventies most went in the Grey Mare one of the reasons I followed City couldnt stand the arrogant bastards even back then.

Did Chorlton ever turn up for the much anticipated "scrap" in Chorlton Park in your day? In the early 70's there was always several days of increasing hype, rumours and threats which ended with 5 or 6 lads standing around the park looking secretly relieved that it was another no-show!

There were one or two standoffs with Chorlton grammar I seem to remember, with stories of youths with belts swinging around their heads, but I didn't witness any aggro myself - I was too busy hanging out round the back of the gym, smoking and learning about female anatomy :)

Didn't Chorlton Park and Didsbury Tech merge to form Wilbraham when Manchester Schools went comprehensive? Or is my failing memory playing tricks?

Cheadle Hulme - all City
Moved to Wythenshawe - mostly City until year United went down - then everyone who wanted to go fighting shifted to United. But City still dominated.
Moved to Bolton - mostly Bolton with odd red and me.

Rags are very odd!

Langley / Middleton has always been pretty even split but when it comes to match going fans city way ahead.

There were one or two standoffs with Chorlton grammar I seem to remember, with stories of youths with belts swinging around their heads, but I didn't witness any aggro myself - I was too busy hanging out round the back of the gym, smoking and learning about female anatomy :)

Didn't Chorlton Park and Didsbury Tech merge to form Wilbraham when Manchester Schools went comprehensive? Or is my failing memory playing tricks?

Not sure which schools merged. Chorlton Grammer had become Chorlton High by 1970 and Parrs Wood had just opened, everyone wanted to go there (if only for the fact the headmaster was called Mr Iball) but I think they took mostly from the Didsbury area. Chorlton Park, I think, reverted to just bring a junior school and the senior school became Wilbraham Lower school with the upper school on Nell Lane. The catchment area for Wilbraham was enormous, Moss Side, Withington, Chorlton, Didsbury right up to Levenshulme, Didsbury Tech may well have merged into Parrs Wood.

In the late 70's, my school was 60% City and 40% them. We always had City v Utd matches in the playground at dinner and the non-football/geeks had to play for them to make up the numbers. You got the odd one supporting an out of town team because of their dad coming from out of the area.

Not sure which schools merged. Chorlton Grammer had become Chorlton High by 1970 and Parrs Wood had just opened, everyone wanted to go there (if only for the fact the headmaster was called Mr Iball) but I think they took mostly from the Didsbury area. Chorlton Park, I think, reverted to just bring a junior school and the senior school became Wilbraham Lower school with the upper school on Nell Lane. The catchment area for Wilbraham was enormous, Moss Side, Withington, Chorlton, Didsbury right up to Levenshulme, Didsbury Tech may well have merged into Parrs Wood.

Ah yes, aggro with the same school then!

I went to Didsbury Tech for a year, which was all boys, and we merged with Chorlton Park school to become Wilbraham High (think it was '65 rather than '66). A lot of the lads at Didsbury came from Levenshulme, Burnage, Withington, Gorton etc so that's probably why the catchment area of Wilbraham was so wide.

When I was at school in north Shropshire in late 70’s early 80’s it was say 30 pc Utd, 30 pc Liverpool, and 30 pc City - sadly the ‘30 pc City’ was Stoke City...

Early to mid 70's in Cork city in secondary school: I was the only City fan throughout the entire 5 years. Surrounded by mainly Liverpool, Leeds and Arsenal fans. Only a few United fans curiously. Now the place must be lousy with 'em after Keane etc.

I had lots of fun though living through Law's backheel and Tueart's overhead. Plus City were pretty damn good at the time overall anyway...

Heres a question...

A good proportion of my south manchester born and bred mates are liverpool fans. Openly glory hunters from the late 70’s / 80s. No family ties, just chose liverpool as they were the best.

So... are any born and bred scousers united Fans for the same reasons ? Bet there arent many
Same in my school. Marple Hall in Stockport. There's an old school friend who is now a Blue but to be fair to him he transferred his allegiance a long time before we became successful. Lots of Rags there too.

But going off-topic slightly I live in West Yorkshire now and the amount of Liverpool fans over here is staggering. Especially when you consider there's half-a-dozen good clubs they could have supported locally.

It's one of the numerous reasons I don't like Liverpool FC.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.