What was the terrace fashion on the Kippax in the 1980's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

There is a Light

Can anyone remember/ enlighten me.. did the casual culture take off at City like it did at other clubs in the 80's?

Scallies following Liverpool in Europe supposedly brought Adidas Forest Hills, Fila and Sergio Tacchini home with them (robbed of course) but City didn't play in Europe after 79, so what were the kids wearing at Maine Road?

NB I know this is associated with violence, but I am more interested in the clobber of that era.

Behind Liverpool, Manchester fans were leaders of 'Casual' fashion. Started off post-punk as Perry Boys. Some of the fashions - Pod shoes, jumbo cords, Lois jeans, fisherman jumpers, deck shoes, Adidas anoraks and Samba (i think) trainers, Stan Smith trainers, Farah trousers like what your grandad wears now and cycling tops for a short while. Later went on to all the usual sports gear (Fila, Lacoste, Tachini, etc.). Liverpool/Manchester were 2-3 years ahead of the rest of the country in this and we had great fun taking the piss out of the fans of other clubs who came to Maine Rd in Donkey jackets, flares, 3 star jumpers and long centre parted hair.

bluemoon32 said:
spacecadet said:
Jeans had slits cut up the inside and outside is all I can remember.

I used to do that with my Farah flares

Cressa, the dancer from the Stone Roses introduced the craze of wearing flares to the rest of the band and subsequently the rest of Manchester. He said he had loads of pair which he bought cheap from Smithfield market he and a load of the lads on the Kippax were wearing them years before anyone else. Ian Brown ended up taking a pair of his old green cords and the rest as they say is history.

Midlands Blue said:
Behind Liverpool, Manchester fans were leaders of 'Casual' fashion. Started off post-punk as Perry Boys. Some of the fashions - Pod shoes, jumbo cords, Lois jeans, fisherman jumpers, deck shoes, Adidas anoraks and Samba (i think) trainers, Stan Smith trainers, Farah trousers like what your grandad wears now and cycling tops for a short while. Later went on to all the usual sports gear (Fila, Lacoste, Tachini, etc.). Liverpool/Manchester were 2-3 years ahead of the rest of the country in this and we had great fun taking the piss out of the fans of other clubs who came to Maine Rd in Donkey jackets, flares, 3 star jumpers and long centre parted hair.

Sounds nice. I'd still wear a pair of Farahs, Stan Smiths and and Adidas anorak now!

Why is it described as terrace fashion nowadays? That term didn't exist then and anyway people generally just wore the current fashions of the times much like any other era. The film about hooligans out at the moment has everyone looking like Jimmy Saville in all those different coloured tracksuits. Quite bizarre if you ask me as thats not what sticks out in my memory. I just recall lads wearing stone-washed jeans, fred perry tops, harrington jackets etc nothing particularly noticeable or different from anyone else. Pretty much was the fashion of the early to mid 80s. I recognise people went in for labels as thats the era it pretty much started in but I don't think people were overly arsed about it the way its being made out these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.