Whatever became of Michael Johnson?

I find it a bit of a contradiction that he supposedly didn't like the pressure or adulation that comes with being a footballer... fine, as an introvert myself I can totally get that.

But then as an introvert you wouldn't have found me shitfaced in the Birdcage several nights a week either.

Dont wish to claim in the know status but I had my finger on the pulse at the time (due to my old profession which I am no longer apart of, I still get snippets every now and then but nothing to do with transfers, just behind the scenes stuff)

He had growing pains that went undiagnosed, fucked up his hips and his achilles but mainly his hips.

He was told he would never reach his potential due to the damage already done, he was 20 at the time and we had just been taken over.

He went into a depression and took a year out of football, proceeded to find solace at the bottom of a bottle. Didnt become an alcy but he certainly enjoyed a night out.

Came back after a year out to a very different City. Made is come back in a win against S****horpe scoring a cracker, and had a brief spell on loan at Leicester.

He was playing in pain, and his recovery time after each game and training session was becoming longer and longer, talent was there just in a frail body.

I didnt get this information from him, but from someone within the club so take what you read with a pinch of salt!

Dont wish to claim in the know status but I had my finger on the pulse at the time (due to my old profession which I am no longer apart of, I still get snippets every now and then but nothing to do with transfers, just behind the scenes stuff)

He had growing pains that went undiagnosed, fucked up his hips and his achilles but mainly his hips.

He was told he would never reach his potential due to the damage already done, he was 20 at the time and we had just been taken over.

He went into a depression and took a year out of football, proceeded to find solace at the bottom of a bottle. Didnt become an alcy but he certainly enjoyed a night out.

Came back after a year out to a very different City. Made is come back in a win against S****horpe scoring a cracker, and had a brief spell on loan at Leicester.

He was playing in pain, and his recovery time after each game and training session was becoming longer and longer, talent was there just in a frail body.

I didnt get this information from him, but from someone within the club so take what you read with a pinch of salt!
Some people's bodies simply aren't built for the twists, turns and harsh impact of professional football. Notwithstanding Swales' negligence, I suspect Paul Lake was another. Others, like Yaya, almost never seem to pick up injuries.

Not seeking to defend Johnson at all.

But being 3 times over is not the same as having a glass and misjudging the limit and being an atom over. Silly to suggest otherwise, as every judge agrees when sentencing.

Sounds like Johnson was in the **** category though.
You never done it Chippy? I don't condone it at all, looking back it's terrible to do so and I would never do it now but in my younger years I and all my friends had a few beers and drove. I think this generation is more enlightened towards drink driving but they are also the same generation that wanted Corbin as PM, now there's a dilemma to consider.

Good post, can empathise with that, really sums up how he threw away a promising career, to the outsider he was mad to do it but the reality wa far different.

Makes sense to me. A real shame. I wish the club or Johnson himself had come out and said this. It would have silenced the rumours.

Makes sense to me. A real shame. I wish the club or Johnson himself had come out and said this. It would have silenced the rumours.

I was in the department that misdiagnosed him, that’s why the club didnt say anything and that’s why Johnson didnt say anything.

By that I dont mean the club asked to keep schtum but it wouldnt have looked good on either party ala Hargreaves slagging off the scum bags, although at the time their medical staff were crooks but thats a story for another day (no not doping)

Kevin De Bruyne is a carbon copy of him, just with a head on his shoulders. They both played the exact same way and I'm convinced Johnson would have gone on to dizzy heights if he had his head right.

Part of me always felt we let him down, but not being close enough to it there's no way i can say what the club offered him in terms of help. Either way, he needed help and didn't get it, whether he refused it is another matter.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.