Whatever became of Michael Johnson?

He's from Urmston, as I am, my friends Dad is best mates with his Dad so I could probably get some info, but I won't.

I know he was in the priory for "mental health problems" for a number of years, although I'm not sure what for, I assume depression and alcoholism. He crashed his car drunk, 3 months after being released on bail for drink driving. This was just before he negotiated a release from City. I read somewhere where he said he didn't like the pressure or anything about being a footballer and just wanted to be now left alone to concentrate on his business ventures. Huge talent, couldn't cope with the money/fame/pressure, I'm not sure about the injuries but if true they most likely played a part. I just hope he is happy now as that is all that's important in this life.

Such a shame what happened to him. One of the most naturally talented players to come through our academy in years.

Boozing his way back to recovery after every injury never helped. People at the club should have looked after him more I reckon.

Boozing his way back to recovery after every injury never helped. People at the club should have looked after him more I reckon.

How do you know they didn't?

sometimes you have to help yourself. He didn't but will have been rewarded well for the five years he was being paid by us.

If it has given him the funds to seek opportunities elsewhere then good luck to him.

How do you know they didn't?

sometimes you have to help yourself. He didn't but will have been rewarded well for the five years he was being paid by us.

If it has given him the funds to seek opportunities elsewhere then good luck to him.

From the outside looking in it didn't look like City was arsed he was leathered in 42s most weeks whilst being injured. Not saying they wasn't trying but if we was and he carried on behaving that way we should have binned him long before releasing him. He certainly didn't help himself or make the right decisions and can count his lucky stars he 1. walked away with money and 2. Isn't in prison.

There was a picture of him somewhere pissed up in a kebab/pizza hut late at night. You knew just by that he had issues, pretty sad. It was knocking abt on a City forum.

Maybe City could have looked after him a bit better but there seems to have been issues with many of his near contemporaries that graduated from the youth team.

Barton - some talent (not as much as he thinks he has though) but a vile and blinkered individual - radio goes off when he is on.
Ireland - again talented by not very clever. His one great season in retrospect seems a bit dodgy - could a bit of individual training really bring about the improvement we saw.
Micah - did very well at first but seems to have lost whatever he had. Not sure whether due to injury or lack of application. A nice guy but could have been so much more.

I think the careers of all the above were very influenced by their personalities and they could have achieved more than they did. There is a lot to be said for your boring Milner/Shearer types who make the most of themselves.

Maybe City could have looked after him a bit better but there seems to have been issues with many of his near contemporaries that graduated from the youth team.

Barton - some talent (not as much as he thinks he has though) but a vile and blinkered individual - radio goes off when he is on.
Ireland - again talented by not very clever. His one great season in retrospect seems a bit dodgy - could a bit of individual training really bring about the improvement we saw.
Micah - did very well at first but seems to have lost whatever he had. Not sure whether due to injury or lack of application. A nice guy but could have been so much more.

I think the careers of all the above were very influenced by their personalities and they could have achieved more than they did. There is a lot to be said for your boring Milner/Shearer types who make the most of themselves.

A lot to be said but none of it worth listening to.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.