Whatever happened to sock 'tags'?

Sam Armstrong

Bit of an odd one, I know, but am watching Sutton Utd v Leeds Utd and it got me thinking of the Leeds team of the early '70s. Not only were they a great team at the time (okay that point is inevitably going to be contentious) but their kit always looked smart .... particularly the sock 'tags' they used to wear (see pics below).

19730407wave.jpg

0a4e5a86fe77071d510f18b631bab7e4.jpg

72socktags.jpg

I was wondering, apart from Leeds, did anyone else wear these and, if not why and when did they go out of fashion/use?

Can't recall City ever wearing them but am happy to be proven wrong especially if someone has a pic

Bit of an odd one, I know, but am watching Sutton Utd v Leeds Utd and it got me thinking of the Leeds team of the early '70s. Not only were they a great team at the time (okay that point is inevitably going to be contentious) but their kit always looked smart .... particularly the sock 'tags' they used to wear (see pics below).

19730407wave.jpg

72socktags.jpg

I was wondering, apart from Leeds, did anyone else wear these and, if not why and when did they go out of fashion/use?

Can't recall City ever wearing them but am happy to be proven wrong especially if someone has a pic
turdpolish.jpg

19730407wave.jpg

72socktags.jpg

Might be talking shite but did Dennis Tueart wear them at one point ?

I imagine they went out of use because they served absolutely no purpose whatsoever. I mean, for whose benefit was it to have tiny little numbers on the players' socks?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.