What's good for the goose...

Thaksinssoldier

Time to be fair.

A lot, and I mean a lot of players were given a free pass last year, and Pellers took the entire brunt of the blame for another lacklustre season. The players would come good we thought.

It's only fair that we take a look now at how that free pass has panned out and critique the carry over players.

So we rolled on to this year, and for the first 10 games all was rosy. Players looked back to their great selves...the Pep effect.

We roll into November and some folks reverted to type and like it or not, it's not Pep's fault. I criticised his approach last night, but on the whole the blame now must surely lie on the shoulders of the players he inherited.

Of the bunch he inherited, here's how I think they've played under Pep.

Willy-improved, stood up to be counted. Still not good enough as a 1, but okay for a 2.

Sagna- stagnated. Not much worse, but not good enough at RB.

Zab- just not up to it anymore. Effort and attitude can't be faulted.

Vinny- abysmal year. I pray last night was more than a glimmer of hope and he is back.

Nico- Poor year. Inconsistent and even when he has a good game, has not justified the investment.

Kolarov- good year. Teething problems at CB but more or less has been very good there.

Clichy- absolutely fucking terrible. Inexcusable. Should have retired last year and shouldn't have been here for game 1.

Delph- terrible year. injury hit and nowhere near the team. Phenomenal last night, but shop window time methinks.

Yaya- Poor year. Attitude saw him absent, came back strong, but only good enough to play mid table teams.

Dinho- Shocking, shocking year. A shadow of the player he was two years ago. Time to go.

Nando- dreadful year. May as well not be here. Okay when played, but that's almost as much as Delph.

KDB- similar year and that's not good enough for what he is capable of. Lots of great assists, but goes missing far too much.

Silva- Great year. Seems a great fit for Pep's system. Let down by whats around him.

Sterling- Great year. Coming on leaps and bounds. 10 times the player he was last year.

Kun- Poor year. Like KDB, he's getting some stats to pad it out, but the Kun of old is far superior to what he is now.

Kelechi- Dreadful, dreadful year. So much hope, so little opportunity and when he's gotten it lately his confidence seems to have gone. Fabulous player, but I fear he doesn't fit the system and will be sold.

Navas- terrible year. Contributes nothing and should have been made a RB at 15.

So...(and I'm sure I forgot someone) what I can deduce from this is in hindsight we may have been far too critical of Pellers(not to say he didn't deserve a lot of it) but the players got a pass and looking at the evidence almost a season later, these players for the most part have completely let the club down since Pellers lifted the prem.

Only Willy, Aleks, Silva and Sterling can really look at it and say they've improved. Everyone else has not.

Kun & KDB have faired okay with flashes of brilliance, but on the whole have been disappointing in terms of their own potential. We can hope they improve next year, but it's sink or swim next season for both(and Kun may be going sooner than that).

I guess the point of all this is when you take a long hard look at it, Pep's players have been fine, and our existing players have failed this club miserably, barring the exceptions highlighted above. I've faith in Pep once he gets his own team, but several players legacies are severely tarnished in hindsight. They've had no excuses, nowhere to hide this season. It's not on Pellers, Pep, Txixi, FFP or David Gill and PGMOL. They can look in the mirror and be ashamed of what they've contributed.

Would love to know people's thoughts.

I was in favour of having Clichy put down 4 years ago.
Sorry I mean sold.
Yaya after the last title win when cakegate happened.
Don't mind Fernando or Delph but didn't want either.
Sagna and Zab are just too old, I'd give them a pass.
System isn't helping Aguero or Kev, there's room for saying they should adapt but the manager should also be making use of their strengths, he's done it with Sterling by moving him to the right, why not 2 of our other stars.
Dinho - shocking season overall, worth a squad place next season at most.
Navas - no problem with him, has his faults but they're nothing to do with attitude or application.
Ota - he's been OK, I'd be happy for him to stay on the same terms as Dinho.
Caballero - reliable backup and comes across as a great lad to have around the squad, have a feeling Bravo or Gunn will be no 2 next season though with a new no 1.
Vinny - just been horrifyingly unlucky with injuries. No longer reliable as first choice.
Silva and Sterling have been excellent.

Its what we already know and that is the sqaud has reached the end of its natural life for a large number of them.

Its what we already know and that is the sqaud has reached the end of its natural life for a large number of them.

Indeed. In hindsight though how does this season reflect on Peller's failings?

He looked like he didn't give a toss last year, but this season makes me wonder if he was the problem we all thought he was.

This team, for all it's successes has chronically underachieved tbh.

He looked like he didn't give a toss last year, but this season makes me wonder if he was the problem we all thought he was.

I said the exact same thing last year in that the sqaud had aged and players where letting themselves, the manager, the club and the fans down.

Bobby suffered from a downing of tools, as did Pellegrini and whilst i wont go that far now under Pep, they are just too old and need to be gone most of them.

Pep will receive the same criticism as Pellers if during his watch the squads age profile, physicality and in particular fullback positions are not addressed.

Pellers got criticised last year because the side, along with Villa, ran the least in the Premiership and it was quite clear some were unfit and demotivated. We cannot say the same this year. Bad defending, poor finishing has cost us rather than a lack of application.

What we still do not know is the level of responsibility of the manager in deciding incoming transfers. It seems Pep has more ownership, judging by the recruits, than Pellers. But still that's speculation.

I think it's hard to judge because I look at someone like Clichy and wonder if he's just shit because he knows he's gone in June. Obviously that wasn't the case under Pellegrini - but he was still shite.

I certainly think Pellegrini should be viewed slightly more favourably, but the group dynamics of a football team are so complicated you can't just draw a straight line and evaluate the difference.

For example, the league this year is undeniably stronger, or more even at least. The points we have now would have us doing much better in another year.

I think it's hard to judge because I look at someone like Clichy and wonder if he's just shit because he knows he's gone in June. Obviously that wasn't the case under Pellegrini - but he was still shite.

I certainly think Pellegrini should be viewed slightly more favourably, but the group dynamics of a football team are so complicated you can't just draw a straight line and evaluate the difference.

For example, the league this year is undeniably stronger, or more even at least. The points we have now would have us doing much better in another year.

Yeah, I guess my issue is I absolutely nailed our performances last year solely on Pellers as I knew the talent level the squad had, but it's very hard not to look back and think how frustrated he must have been at times dealing with some of the plain laziness and lack of mental application being shown by several players. Gael Clichy for example can blame his legs all he wants, but he's getting caught asleep time and time again, notably against Arsenal for that goal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.