Where do people think we sit in terms of club football and the top squads in the world?

Top 3/4.

Real and Bayern are of course number 1 and 2.

But this season with Barca under the transfer-ban, i see us competing with them. A few of their main stars are aging players by now, and they haven't really got the quality consistantly over the pitch.

More importantly they haven't been able to refresh their attack and even with Neymar-Suarez-Messi up front it'll become stale.

Top 3/4.

Real and Bayern are of course number 1 and 2.

But this season with Barca under the transfer-ban, i see us competing with them. A few of their main stars are aging players by now, and they haven't really got the quality consistantly over the pitch.

Is that a Joke?

Alba - world class
Alves - World class
Pique - World class
Mascerano - World class

Rakatic - pretty close to world class
Busquests - World class
Iniesta - World class

Neymar - World class
Suarez - World class
Messi - Average

Right, here's my opinion on the 9 clubs you mention above.

Barca - undoubtedly the best team in the world.
Real - still ahead of us, but other than Ronaldo I don't see their squad being that much better than us, they are definitely in decline.
Munich - still ahead of us, they just have more experience in big games, we'll catch them soon enough.
Chelsea - they were ahead of us last year by quite a distance, but a poor transfer window for them has shown, we dominated them 3-0, it could have been 5/6 ahead at half time!
Athletico - they have some good technical players and arguably the best manager in the world (despite playing boring football), but they aren't the team they were 2 years ago, to many good players have left - I think we're ahead of them.
Chelsea - they got mentioned twice in your list
PSG - Really good team, I'd say they are 'just' ahead of us because they don't have any domestic competition.
Juventus - absolutely no chance are they ahead of us now. last season, maybe, but they've lost 3 of their 4 best players and domestic competition has improved.
Dortmund - No Klopp, no champions league football, no Lewandowski - they are no where near the Dortmund of 2013 and arguing they're ahead of us is laughable, there are at least 4 teams ahead of them in Germany alone!

I think a lot of City fans forget that in the last 2 seasons we've been in a group with Bayern and faced Barca in the round of 16. Juventus last year had a group of Athletico, Olympiakos and Malmo (they finished second), they beat the poorest Dortmund team we've seen in half a decade to reach the quarters, where they beat a Monaco side that finished 12 points behind PSG - they qualified for the final after having the game of their lives vs Madrid - then played Barca in the final and got outclassed on every front - and people think they had some incredible team that was miles ahead of ours etc - they didn't they just got lucky one season.

But the guy's initial point was that we aren't judging this on paper, we are judging this by previous European performances and if you went to Spain or Italy or any other place in Europe right now, we aren't ahead of those teams by reputation based on our European performances. I'm inclined to agree with you on all the explanations about how we compare to those clubs mentioned, but until we have a good run in the Champions League our reputation can't be put any higher than those clubs I mentioned.
On paper it should look like this:
1. Barca
2. Real Madrid
3. Bayern
4. PSG, Atletico, Chelsea and City fighting it out.
8. Juventus have since dropped off.

But we are not quite there yet, it would help to not draw Barca in the L16 but we need to give ourselves a better chance by topping our group.

The press would put us nowhere near and Europe i still think we have a point to prove.

1. Barca
2. Real
3. Bayern
4. Athletico / Juve
5. City / PSG ? Chelsea

Is that a Joke?

Alba - world class
Alves - World class
Pique - World class
Mascerano - World class

Rakatic - pretty close to world class
Busquests - World class
Iniesta - World class

Neymar - World class
Suarez - World class
Messi - Average

They have a strong first 11, i'll give you that. But as i said it's an ageing squad.

Alves is 32, Mascherano 31, Iniesta 31.

Alba is only a slight upgrade on Kolarov/Clichy.
Pique is not that great, and i'd easily say our CB's are better than Barca's lot.

Rakitic is still not proving a whole ton, despite the team he's in, and our selection is once again, in my opinion a stronger side.
Busquets is decent, but seems to fade in top games.
Iniesta is world class, i'll give you that. But for how long will his legs stay?

I can't put a finger on their front three, but with one injury. And they are in trouble there.

A lot of things point towards them being a weaker side. One of the only things is their collective, but that's a major boost in their direction.

Would you rather have a bench of:

Ter Stegen, Bartra, Mathieu, Gumbau, Rafinha, Munir and Sandro? (Their latest bench against Malaga)

or

Willy, Demichelis, Maffeo, Nasri, Roberts, Iheanacho and Delph?

Our bench is weakened too, but we at least have the players to up our bench a lot. Barca doesn't really have a whole ton of improvements from their bench.

We could add: De Bruyne, Otamendi, Bony, Clichy and Zabaleta, to name a few.

Barca could add: Adriano, Roberto, Douglas and Pique (Because of his red card currently)

I still know which bench i'd prefer.

They have a strong first 11, i'll give you that. But as i said it's an ageing squad.

Alves is 32, Mascherano 31, Iniesta 31.

Alba is only a slight upgrade on Kolarov/Clichy.
Pique is not that great, and i'd easily say our CB's are better than Barca's lot.

Rakitic is still not proving a whole ton, despite the team he's in, and our selection is once again, in my opinion a stronger side.
Busquets is decent, but seems to fade in top games.
Iniesta is world class, i'll give you that. But for how long will his legs stay?

I can't put a finger on their front three, but with one injury. And they are in trouble there.

A lot of things point towards them being a weaker side. One of the only things is their collective, but that's a major boost in their direction.

Would you rather have a bench of:

Ter Stegen, Bartra, Mathieu, Gumbau, Rafinha, Munir and Sandro? (Their latest bench against Malaga)

or

Willy, Demichelis, Maffeo, Nasri, Roberts, Iheanacho and Delph?

Our bench is weakened too, but we at least have the players to up our bench a lot. Barca doesn't really have a whole ton of improvements from their bench.

We could add: De Bruyne, Otamendi, Bony, Clichy and Zabaleta, to name a few.

Barca could add: Adriano, Roberto, Douglas and Pique (Because of his red card currently)

I still know which bench i'd prefer.
Sure but in what sense of the team are you talking about. Us vs them in terms of a full season or a UCL Final. The only way I can see a serious comparison be made between city and barca with the inclusion of the bench is in relevance to how each team would do throughout the entire season not just one game, because as you mentioned before, Barca have the better starting 11.

Sure but in what sense of the team are you talking about. Us vs them in terms of a full season or a UCL Final. The only way I can see a serious comparison be made between city and barca with the inclusion of the bench is in relevance to how each team would do throughout the entire season not just one game, because as you mentioned before, Barca have the better starting 11.

Did you read the thread title?

I am talking about a whole season of course. you wouldn't judge a team on one game would you?

I wouldn't. Unless it's Rags against MK Dons of course!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.