Who Will Pose A Threat Next Season

As long as we strengthen properly, and don't get complacent then we should win it again next season. With the squad and manager we have, I'll be very disappointed if we don't.

But it's absolutely vital we don't rest on our laurels and think we only need to buy Fred then rely on luck with injuries, because the rags, Chelsea and Liverpool will be going big in the transfer market again after we humiliated them all this season. If we don't match that they'll catch us up, it doesn't take much at this level, one world class player and a settled side, plus refs on their side, and any of those could overtake us if we don't learn our lesson from after the 2012 title win.

In short, we need a DM to cover Fernandinho when he's suspended/injured/rested, another very quick wide man and ideally striker back up for Kun/Jesus, all from the top drawer. You can't stand still in this league with the money everyone has.

Interesting question; I've been wondering the same thing.

In my opinion, it will be hard for us to sustain this season's form through a second season. We've broken records all along the way this year, and we'd need to getting near that again next year to be in a similar position as we are today, and more and more teams will just shutdown against us (a lot of our early season wins were when teams still took us on toe-to-toe). On the other hand, the rags are our closest competition this season, and I genuinely believe they are punching well above their weight. In any normal season, they'd still be fighting for the title right now with the points total they have, which is just bizarre considering the dull and uninspiring football they're playing. Somehow they've managed to get something from games they didn't deserve anything from and kept hold of second place, but I also can't see them sustaining this next season either.

So, I think it will be closer next season, with Chelsea and Liverpool (and probably the rags) pushing us all the way. But I think it's our best opportunity yet to defend the title (assuming we win it ;)) with a young and eager squad who want to lay down a lasting legacy.

Don't forget Chelsea will probably be in Europa League next season, that will make it tough for them

Liverpool if they fix a couple of key areas - Defensive midfielder (So Naby Keïta isn't limited), Goalkeeper and probably 2/3 defenders. Oh and a better back-up striker.

United if they keep DDG and spend more money.

Chelsea can never be discounted either, depending on whether Hazard and Courtois stay and who comes in as manager next season.

That's it I think, Spurs and Arsenal don't worry me very much, City will of course improve as well.

Who will challenge us next season?
Liverpool if they keep Salah and improve their defence and defending of the long ball.
Spurs if they manage to keep hold of Harry Kane and improve the team. The midfield is not good enough - especially on the flanks.
Utd if they spend a fortune on their defence.
Chelsea are too far behind. Next season will be catch up if they can hold on to Hazard and Coutois.

Even with all that Crazy Eddie playing rush keeper gives us a major advantage and we will definately uping the strength of our team.

Take De Gea, Kane, Hazard, Salah out of their current teams and they would suffer badly. 'That lot' have no such player on recent evidence.
To some extent we would be lessened without Kev or Dave. Our squad will however strengthen further for our title defence.
If we get Fred and Lemar with Mendy coming good on his return we'll continue to dominate the PL.

If Liverpool sign 2/3 key players I see them and Spurs our closest chasers next season. The Salford lot have an ageing defence and quite a few average squad fillers. Other cockney teams have poor squad harmony.

Last edited:
The thing about next season, is you never know..

Liverpool, if they could persuade Allison to be their keeper, you'd see De Gea-esque points swings in their favour. Add that fella from Germany arriving in the summer. They might be near you know. The depth of squad might hurt them but they'll be a strong XI no doubt.

United - I'm under no illusions Jose knows what he needs to replicate a single title winning season. The issues, might be funds. He needs to replace Young/Shaw, find a replacement for Valencia sharpish, and get Jones/Smalling/Lindelof out.. that's £200m in todays market. They'll try and make splash signings, I suspect, they'll try for Griezmann or Bale when they really need an Isco or Kroos etc. But they look like they are starting to spend again and I never trust them in the market - stupid money on someone like Neymar might be talked about just as the season ticket renewals are up at the swamp.

Chelsea - look like they've regressed and don't spend well at all
Spurs - last chance saloon for Poch to win something.. expect similar things as this season tbh. FA Cup dark horse maybe.
Arsenal - new coach might improve them. Whilst a title wouldn't be in their grasps, points might harder to obtain against them. Same for everyone though.

For us, I'd like to see us replace Kompany, cash in on Zinchenko and buy a proper left back back up. Delph could be moved to the Danilo role, I suspect Danilo might want more game time elsewhere. If Fred comes in, perfect, Fernandinho can back up Walker again if needed. Then it's the forward position. We need Aguero, Jesus and 1 other IMO..
Timo Werner or Leon Bailey fit the not quite elite, but potential to do so.
With the above changes, I think the league is retained, but it's going to go to long.

we should still be best by a distance but United will continue to spend big money and will be closer to us, same with Liverpool

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.